BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently had a problem which required me to disconnect the negative terminal to my 03 MKIV M5 while the red light on the unit was still in operation. I actually removed the key but everything was still on (but thats another story). From what I have read the can be some issues with the weak battery. My battery currently shows black (out of the Green Black Red status indicator).
My Nav does not seem to read the DVD but it does not spit it out either. I have updated the OS to the version 28 software 4-1/80 which my car accepted though than nav was down. But when I put in the DVD is does not accept it. In one instance it did ask for location info (Country, city, etc..) but was incredibly slow. Is my unit fried or is this and issue with the DVD (currently 2004-2) and/or battery being low.
Should you have some insight it would be much appreciated. FYI the battery is still original and reads 14 volts when running and 12.53 when not running (but freshly driven).

Thanks in advance!:cheers:
PS: Message show the following:
Error in reading CD/DVD
Please Check the CD/DVD

·
Registered
244 Posts
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks back. Dealer did some warranty work for which they needed to uncouple the battery (new cluster). When I went to pick up the car the navi gave the same fault code (factory MKIV). Unfortunately, they diagnosed that the unit was broken...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Suggest you do a thread search on this as i'm sure if the red light is on you cannot touch the power to the nav :nono:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suggest you do a thread search on this as i'm sure if the red light is on you cannot touch the power to the nav :nono:
I have actually went through hundreds of threads regarding this subject and am well aware of the fact that I should not shut off the power while the NAV is still on. At the time I had no choice.

Whatever Dinan did while updating my software caused my car to have all the electronics on even after removing the key. This was upon the 1st drive from Dinan facilities to home. Upon removing my key, the tach was stuck showing 2500 rpms, headlights were on, display screen was still on, etc.....
The car would not restart or respond to anything I did so I naturally thought of rebooting the system by disconnecting the neg. terminal (after about 10 minutes in this state).
Upon doing so everything seemed normal and the seems to have reset itself. I was able to make it home though my NAV was showing a cd/dvd error message. Soon after I used my peake reader and it showed code 86 Instrument Cluster Message Timeout.

As of now I installed a new OS system 4-1/80 (old one was 4-1/60) which worked and the unit in the trunk accepted. I thought that my old OS was corrupted and was hoping this would solve then problem but it has not. I have read of loading a old version then a new version so this is what I may attempt to do next. What is strange is that I do not know why it would read the OS (CD format) but not the 2004-2 Navteq original disk. Therefore I am hoping to get my hands on another DVD or CD to see if maybe my DVD is busted (which is a long shot). I have read posts where the MK4 was able to read CD's but not DVD's. If I find no solution I will send the unit out to be examined as a last resort. I would like to exhaust all the possibilities before I send it out and/or purchase a new unit.

If anyone local to SF has a CD or MK4 I could try in my car I would appreciate it. I'd like to make sure my unit is busted before I drop $850 for a new one. And I'll bring the Beer cherrsagai.

Thanks for reading.

PS: Dinan said it could be a coincidence when I brought it back the day after but could find nothing wrong with my car. Strange that I NEVER had a problem prior but the very 1st trip out my car is outta whack showing a code 86 on the Peake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts