BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my third set of rear tires in the last 35,000 miles and I'm sick of it. At first, I thought it was because of the Continental DWS's I was running, but the fronts are on the same 35,000 miles and they still have 6/32's tread on them. I had a bent rear wheel that was bent at the hub, causing the wheel to shimmy side-to-side as it turned, but that was fixed and now, on my Michelin A/S3's that I've had for the last 5000 miles, I'm down to 4/32's tread. That is even across the tire too, not just inside as is usual for the negative camber on BMW's. I've had several alignments and everything is well in the green on all measured items, but this wear rate is ridiculous. All rear suspension has been replaced and is in very good condition including ball joints, integral links, both control arms, wheel bearings, sway bar bushings and end-links, struts, spring seats, strut mounts, as well as the full front suspension and tie rods. The only rear bushings that haven't been replaced are rear subframe bushings, trailing arm bushings, and rear diff bushings (all of which still look very good). I am running Style 95's in staggered 19x9 and 19x10 with 245/35/19 in front and 275/30/19 in rear. The car is very smooth and the wheels are properly balanced.

So far, I've been fortunate that Tirerack.com has aided me in getting the treadwear warranty fulfilled on my Continental tires when they're gone, but I'm worried that eventually that hospitality might run out. I need to figure out if there is still something seriously wrong with the car, because I only put the A/S3's on 3 months ago and I can't keep replacing them that often.

Also, I should mention, my main driving is to and from work on the interstate 25 miles each way at about 75mph. I do not sit and do burnouts nor track the car, so for this kind of wear I'm just mind-boggled.

I really need someone's help, because all of my logical conclusions have been pretty much exhausted.

Thanks,

Paul

Also, here is the specs from my last alignment when the rear tires were installed.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Way too much rear toe... think I'm running 0.01 or 0.02, nice even wear, and I'm not easy on my tires. Managed 20K miles out of my last set of PSS
According to the specs for my 530i, they are within, but yours would be much too low. I'm confused. Obviously, the specs shouldn't be much different between the 530i sport and M5, right?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I'd reduce rear toe down to as close to zero as possible if you're concerned about tire wear.

Reactions: mgdmb

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Rear toe is your problem.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, what is the advantage to having rear toe within specs? Obviously you guys are running lower rear toe and being in performance cars, I would expect that there isn't much benefit and certainly drawbacks. I'll gladly lower them down, but I haven't heard of many people with e39's going through rear tires like I am with standard alignment specs, so I figured something was unique.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4

"Additionally the vehicle's toe is one of the most critical alignment settings relative to tire wear. A toe setting that is just a little off its appropriate setting can make a huge difference in their wear. Consider that if the toe setting is just 1/16-inch off of its appropriate setting, each tire on that axle will scrub almost seven feet sideways every mile! Extend it out and you'll discover that rather than running parallel to each other, the front tires will scrub over 1/4-mile sideways during every 100 miles of driving! Incorrect toe will rob you of tire life."

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much guys. I'll get a proper alignment ASAP.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
When I first saw this thread, I thought keep you foot off of the right pedal, then realized it was another issue. Once you get properly aligned then you can ***** about poor tire wear for the correct reason. :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, based on the information I've received here and bf.c, I have scheduled my alignment for Thursday morning and I will be having the rear toe set to 0.05 and the rear camber to -1.7. Hopefully this will fix my tire wear problems.

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Here's the latest alignment report. It turns out the bent wheel that was on the car during the last alignment really threw it out of whack. I'm pretty sure it's the reason for the accelerated wear. I also set the toe and camber to the 540i M-Sport settings based on the recommendations from here and bimmerforums.

Thanks guys! I hope this extends the life of my tires considerably.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Excellent, appreciate the follow up. If you wouldn't mind, please update this thread later with wear results.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent, appreciate the follow up. If you wouldn't mind, please update this thread later with wear results.

Will do.

·
Registered
841 Posts
welcome to m5 ownership. If you drive it like you should a set of rears a year is about right. Since I got the car with 47k, I've been through 5 sets of rear tires.

Reactions: GBPackerfan1963

·
Registered
3,337 Posts

If he drives the "Beast" the way its meant to be driven, the results will still be skewed. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
welcome to m5 ownership. If you drive it like you should a set of rears a year is about right. Since I got the car with 47k, I've been through 5 sets of rear tires.
I wish it were a M5. It is actually a 530iA. It does have the same ride height and such as the M5, hence the reason for the alignment specs I set. The "Beast" is actually my e38 with S62 motor.

Oh, and before this alignment, it was a set of rear all-seasons every 4 months, which is a bit excessive when it mostly gets driven highway to and from work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts