BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this is related to this issue I had previously:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55825

basically I must have bottomed out the car somehow and i wound up breaking this piece... either that or i pulled into a parking spot and broke it on a curb that was too high.... located on the passenger side right underneath

i definitely do not want to replace the entire bumper for this small piece... ive looked at the diagrams on realoem.com and in TIS but I cant seem to figure out what this piece is called... i dont know if its part of the bumper or wheel well assembly....

any ideas?? TIA...

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
lemansmiami said:
I believe this is related to this issue I had previously:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55825

basically I must have bottomed out the car somehow and i wound up breaking this piece... either that or i pulled into a parking spot and broke it on a curb that was too high.... located on the passenger side right underneath

i definitely do not want to replace the entire bumper for this small piece... ive looked at the diagrams on realoem.com and in TIS but I cant seem to figure out what this piece is called... i dont know if its part of the bumper or wheel well assembly....

any ideas?? TIA...
Its called a lower engine cover or fender liner. The right side has the outside air sensor that attaches to it. That part # is 51-71-2-498-990 and sells for around $120.00 It really easy to replace. You do not have to take off the bumper its about eight screws. You will need to take off the wheel.
Boz

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet, thanks for the feedback guys, any idea what that silver thing is inside the part?? looks almost like some insulation or padding... something worth keeping when I replace the part?

·
Registered
267 Posts
insulation for the thermometer. I have an easy time removing the liner with the wheel on, just turn the wheel like you were making a right turn, slide hand in and there you go. I wouldn't bother with fixing it unless the outside temp reading is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
i've replaced thses a few times myself. I just go to the parts dept and say the black plastic piece under the bumper, they know what it is because it's so easily damaged. IIRC, the thermometer insulation was in place on my replacement. I also didn't remove the wheel, just turn it.
Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i got the piece today for $89 = tx and installed it... not hard at all, but removing the wheel would make it easier to line up the holes... i actually couldnt get one screw in but i figure im still ok...

thanks to everyone who chipped in, much appreciated

·
Registered
89 Posts
I replaced both of mine a month ago. ~$240 in parts, replaced them both in the driveway with a single floor jack and without removing the tires or bumper. Very straightforward. Make a note of how the plastic overlaps the inner fender wells and mates with the center section of the lower engine cover when you're taking the old ones off - that's the only trick. I did loosen the screws on either side of the center cover to make it easier to slide the new parts in. Mine looked exactly like yours do when I bought my car - now it's perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.