Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Already a thread...
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48593

If you take the urls and go to google; languages they can translate the page. Pretty poor translation, but hte gist is there.

My take is that the ABS and DSC turn off- BUT the warning lights DO come on. All of this caused by excessive pedal force- it is arguable as to whether or not this could ever happen in non-police (abuse?) situations.

ard

·
Registered
214 Posts
"All of this caused by excessive pedal force- it is arguable as to whether or not this could ever happen in non-police (abuse?) situations."

Doesn't sound like you have ever been in a serious accident. ALL you want to do is stop, you'd put the pedal THROUGH the floor board if you could, hence the reason for the development of antilock brakes.

My humble opinion.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
kcdoyle said:
"All of this caused by excessive pedal force- it is arguable as to whether or not this could ever happen in non-police (abuse?) situations."

Doesn't sound like you have ever been in a serious accident. ALL you want to do is stop, you'd put the pedal THROUGH the floor board if you could, hence the reason for the development of antilock brakes.

My humble opinion.
Yep, more than my share... (funny though, the brakes didn't work well while the car was rolling end over end... I did manage to bend the steering wheel with my hands though)

It wasn't clear to me that this failure occurred on ONE single compression of the pedal- if so, I'd agree with your comment.

I was looking at the situation where a hard pedal action causes the system to hang, then continued driving leads to an accident.... but I'd agree that this might not be the failure mode.

In a hazards analysis the engineering team looks not just at the device, but the human factor- in the accident scenario you are not likley to race off on a continuing high speed pursuit. If you manage to avoid the crash, you would be faced with two illuminated lights. A reasonable hazard analysis would state 'the driver would then follow the instructions in the users manual'- not drive the car, take it to the dealer.

But I agree if it goes directly into shut down with high pedal force - bad way to fail.

Too bad none of us speaks German well enough to get a good handle on this..

·
Registered
214 Posts
.[/
ard said:
Yep, more than my share... (funny though, the brakes didn't work well while the car was rolling end over end... I did manage to bend the steering wheel with my hands though)QUOTE]

YIKES! And here I was being a smart ***!! Hopefully all turned out ok. (no pun intended)

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Walked away- all 4 of us. ended up black side down, too. Quite some time ago.

The force you can generate when fueled by blind terror/adrenaline is pretty amazing- hence my comment on the steering wheel.

My father, who was killed in a car accident, bent the brake pedal to the floor in his attempt to stop. (Head on into another car- at night- the other car had no headlights- country road.) Bad stuff, but that was 20 years ago. The only fortunate outcome was it instantly converted our entire family into seatbelt wearers (are there any morons left who don't??)

Anyway, didn't mean to wallow..

ard

·
Registered
312 Posts
ard said:
The only fortunate outcome was it instantly converted our entire family into seatbelt wearers (are there any morons left who don't??)
ard
amazingly, there seems to be many in chicago - they don't seem to believe in strapping their kids in child seats, either.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Not belting up is seriously the most moronic thing you can do. I crack up everytime I hear the old "I'd rather be thrown clear" line. I wont drive if anyone (including my father, but he is getting better) is unbelted. Why not just ride on the hood and hold on tight...
:cheers:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have had my '00 M5 brake system hang for about one second or less as I released brake pedal pressure on three occasions. I could feel the hang start to change the attitude of the car in relation to the road. It is very unnerving but the duration of the brake hang has been so short that the situation is over before anything goes awry. :eek:oohhh:

This has happened when the V1 would go off and I'd give a sharp, hard, quick stab at the brakes to quickly cut my speed. I have been using AP Racing 6 piston brakes. This sudden jab combined with the extra stopping power may fool the system sometimes.

I could feel and hear the tires start to rotate slower (squealing) than the speed of the car or even lock perhaps during this time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts