BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
looking at buying an 06 M5 (members car). I would greatly appreciate someone running a history report

WBSNB93576B581496<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
looking at buying an 06 M5 (members car). I would greatly appreciate someone running a history report

WBSNB9357B581496

THANKS!
I always love these posts - somebody purchasing an M5 but too cheap to buy a Carfax (which is quite worthless anyways).

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I always love these posts - somebody purchasing an M5 but too cheap to buy a Carfax
lol, +1

OP, have the member produce you one as part of the sale negotiation

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wouldn't call it cheap. But what makes this board great is members enjoying to help each other out with the resources/knowledge they have. Probably something new members haven't benefited from yet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i wouldn't call it cheap. But what makes this board great is members enjoying to help each other out with the resources/knowledge they have. Probably something new members haven't benefited from yet.
I agree with this. I joined the forum to learn and share. No question that M5 passionate folks will know information I do not. In search for an M5, it would seem very possible some forum member could provide useful information about a specific year model or specific car.
Then again the carfax and ppi are not all that costly. All part of due dilligence.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I don't have an issue with these posts...if someone has an account with Carfax and can get many reports for free, it isn't too much to ask, even if one can afford it. If this was the summer and I had access to my work's account (I work at dealerships each summer), I would have been happy to run a Carfax report for you.

HOWEVER, please note that many cars have serious damage that was never reported to the insurance companies/police, meaning it has not made its way to Carfax/Autocheck, so it is absolutely crucial that you get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) before buying an M5.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with this. I joined the forum to learn and share. No question that M5 passionate folks will know information I do not. In search for an M5, it would seem very possible some forum member could provide useful information about a specific year model or specific car.
Then again the carfax and ppi are not all that costly. All part of due dilligence.
thanks Dntlvet,
And i can't agree more, i always get a ppi from a reputable shop/dealer. I had an autocheck account but it has expired.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't have an issue with these posts...if someone has an account with Carfax and can get many reports for free, it isn't too much to ask, even if one can afford it. If this was the summer and I had access to my work's account (I work at dealerships each summer), I would have been happy to run a Carfax report for you.

HOWEVER, please note that many cars have serious damage that was never reported to the insurance companies/police, meaning it has not made its way to Carfax/Autocheck, so it is absolutely crucial that you get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) before buying an M5.

afc1
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type=hidden>
I have repeatedly read this.
I wonder though, who would own an M5 and not have it insured?
If there was significant damage, why would it not be reported to the insurance company. I would think that type of damage would be picked up by carfax or autocheck.

What type of damage ...flood cars that get carpets replaced without a ding on the title?
Smoke from garage fire goes to the detailer?
Car keyed gets detailed?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have repeatedly read this.
I wonder though, who would own an M5 and not have it insured?
If there was significant damage, why would it not be reported to the insurance company. I would think that type of damage would be picked up by carfax or autocheck.

What type of damage ...flood cars that get carpets replaced without a ding on the title?
Smoke from garage fire goes to the detailer?
Car keyed gets detailed?
It's not a question of being insured or not...the issue is that CARFAX does not have access to insurance company files, only police reports. Cops don't file a report = not on CARFAX...even if the claim went through insurance. CARFAX relies on people's ignorance and/or trust in order to fool them into believing that if the CARFAX is clean, then so is the car. In fact, it is really only one (small) ingredient in the recipe of buying a quality used vehicle. I find CARFAX only useful to rule out major/frame/flood damage, and sometimes get an owner history (and even this can be misleading since they record an 'owner' even if the dealership selling it registered it).

Common sense, service records and a paint depth meter are the absolute must have's when looking at a pre-owned car (unless you don't care about resprays). The rest is visually easy to figure out -you should be able to tell within 1 minute of looking at a car whether or not it's had a hard life. Checking for tape lines in the door jambs, galled fender and hood bolts, etc...this helps put together a picture of the REAL vehicle history but as mentioned, is only one part.

This M5 I just bought - I was able to piece everything together from the service records, my overall conversation with him, a visual inspection, a test drive, how his garage was kept, the other cars he had, the fact that he knew lots about M cars, the fact that he didn't have the front license plate holes drilled, that he gave me a custom-fit car cover, that he'd been to the ///M Driving School in SC, that he gave me the SA's name that took care of the car - all weighted percentages towards a complete picture.

But if you're desperate to get an M5 at any cost just to get an M5, then the above doesn't apply to you.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have a couple of Carfax reports left pm me if you still need it......

·
Registered
38 Posts
need 17 digits to check ... +1

·
Registered
38 Posts
What is your email?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Emailed :santasmile2: ... i hope that helps you .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts