BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a beautiful day, we decided to take a drive to visit my wife's mother who lives 120 miles away. To get me in a good mood she took along my favorite CD, but we couldn't get it to play or the nav to work. That's when I pulled over and my wife showed me that she had shoved the CD into the nav slot instead of the CD disk changer. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get the nav drive to eject the Enya disk she managed to somehow jam in there along with the normal nav disk. I'm sure I'm not the first person this has happened to. Any ideas how to get the extra disk out?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Are you sure the map disc also in the drive? This should not be possible due to the 'gates' that come up and block the drive opening.

Assuming that there is only the Enya CD in there, the first thing to try is to get the Nav to eject it on it's own. Try turning off the ignition and leave the boot open. When the light on the Nav goes out after about 1 minute, press and hold the eject button. With the button still pressed, hit the unlock button on the remote, keep the button pressed for at least 1 minute.

If that does not work after a couple of attempts or you are sure the map CD is also in there, you'll have to manually eject the disc(s).

The exact mechanism depends on the type of Nav computer you have, I'll assume you have a MK III or MK IV. With the ignition off, open the boot and wait for the light on the Nav to go out. Feel round the sides of the Nav computer, you can feel some small barbed clips, 2 on each side. Press the clips in with your fingers and pull the Nav out. Disconnect the blue and purple plugs and the black GPS antenna coax. Prise off the lid, it just clips in place but you will break the tamper sticker. Looking from the front of the Nav you will see a small motor back right, it is held in place by one small Torx screw, a T6. Undo this with either a Torx driver or if you don't have one you may be able to do it with a small screwdriver that is exactly the right size. Lift the motor out slightly from the front exposing a white cog. Turn the cog clockwise until the disc comes out. Replace the motor and lid and reconnect the Nav.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, both disk are jammed in the drive. She said she had a hard time getting the other disk in. I'm going to try and take it apart and get them out. Many thanks!!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

RichardP said:
Are you sure the map disc also in the drive? This should not be possible due to the 'gates' that come up and block the drive opening.

Assuming that there is only the Enya CD in there, the first thing to try is to get the Nav to eject it on it's own. Try turning off the ignition and leave the boot open. When the light on the Nav goes out after about 1 minute, press and hold the eject button. With the button still pressed, hit the unlock button on the remote, keep the button pressed for at least 1 minute.

If that does not work after a couple of attempts or you are sure the map CD is also in there, you'll have to manually eject the disc(s).

The exact mechanism depends on the type of Nav computer you have, I'll assume you have a MK III or MK IV. With the ignition off, open the boot and wait for the light on the Nav to go out. Feel round the sides of the Nav computer, you can feel some small barbed clips, 2 on each side. Press the clips in with your fingers and pull the Nav out. Disconnect the blue and purple plugs and the black GPS antenna coax. Prise off the lid, it just clips in place but you will break the tamper sticker. Looking from the front of the Nav you will see a small motor back right, it is held in place by one small Torx screw, a T6. Undo this with either a Torx driver or if you don't have one you may be able to do it with a small screwdriver that is exactly the right size. Lift the motor out slightly from the front exposing a white cog. Turn the cog clockwise until the disc comes out. Replace the motor and lid and reconnect the Nav.
Awesome post.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Wait....your favorite CD is an Enya album? I think you have bigger problems here. Sorry man, just kidding, I had to. Hope you get it working again.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wait....your favorite CD is an Enya album? I think you have bigger problems here. Sorry man, just kidding, I had to. Hope you get it working again.
LOL I missed this! Read it on my phone and thought it was her favorite CD. :D

·
Registered
968 Posts
Your excellent writeup made me decide to look into why my nav works sometimes, but not all the time. The previous ower told me about this when I bought the car. The unit pulled out easily after I pressed in the 2 clips on each side. My unit only has two connectors in the back which pop right out. I took off the 4 screws that hold the face plate and found a small piece of white cardboard behind the front plate. I pulled it out and wonder if it's been in there since the car was new! The unit works fine now ALL THE TIME. Thanks for the excellent DIY write up. Cheers, RichardP! I'm guessing there is probably a more recent nav disk available than the 2001.1??

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts