BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried "downgrading" the NAV option? I would much rather have just a stock stereo head unit then the NAV system. Its so difficult to use that I just don't anymore. BTW, just joined the board and I've already learned tons!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm sure this is possible, you would just need to remove the Navigation computer from the trunk and replace the Nav screen with a stock unit. I believe you will also need a trim piece that goes directly above the radio.

I believe the euro-spec M5's had Nav as an option, you may be able to find someone on this board and work out some kind of exchange.

·
10,455 Posts
I would bet the wiring is different. You might want to look at www.bimmernav.com as i think they have instructions on how to retro fit nav to a non-nav car, you're just going the other way.
You could probably trade parts with another e39 owner, but it's be loads easier if you just went with aftermarket audio equipment. See if you can find some pics of daniels of beastpower's car, he'd gone the aftermarket route.
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it seems like the wiring would be very different. I love everything about my car except that NAV system. Its the proto iDrive. Compared to the Lexus NAV system, its a joke. I might try changing it, but it might not be worth it. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm sure you can trade it with anyone who had a 528i E39 etc. Almost everyone else wants a nav system. Best bet is finding someone looking to upgrade and swap.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I wasn't going to comment... but... can't resist...

Why not just DON'T USE IT if it is 'too confusing'?

Had you asked about a better nav system, I could see that as a valid question... but to 'punish' the car by removing a feature you would otherewise like to use but it is too awkward sounds strange.

Best bang for the buck? Don't press GPS on the menu screen- problem solved AND saves $2000.

Ard

PS I own 3 other GPS systems- two hand held, and know these systems pretty well. I did find this interface pretty cumbersome, but learnable... it isn't too bad once you get the hang of it. Latest maps and SW help, but it is still...vdo.

PPS Awfully sorry about being pissy on your first post... :) Welcome- hopefully I'll excercise more restraint in the future...

·
Registered
661 Posts
You don't like the screen of just the NAV feature? You could just leave it alone and not go to the NAV screen. Just keep the radio on the screen and you will never see the nav again unless you turn it on intentionally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I apologize for not being more concise with my question and my followup. It isn't just the navigation system that I don't like, it's the whole unit. When I got the NAV unit as an option, all the stereo controls got rolled into it also. I do currently use the stereo on the screen, but the controls are just infuriating. I simply wish I had a "regular" BMW stereo head. It's probably the least intuitive stereo I have ever used.

Frankly, I find it strange that more M5er's don't complain about the system. If I could fix it, my car really would be perfect. (for me that is)

I appreciate the feedback! This is so fun to talk with other owners!

·
Registered
89 Posts
While I admit switching functions or dialing in a NAV point is cumbersome, when the unit is set to radio I find it to be pretty simple and straightforward - I'm not sure how much simplier life would be with a conventional deck. I like the big letters scrolling the RDS-provided artist name and song title (though I wish it scrolled faster), and I like having the computer facts and figures up, too, reminding me that I'm only getting 12mpg and can't venture more than 300 miles from a gas station :). If and when I upgrade to 16:9, MK-IV and Sirius radio I'm going to be ecstatic.

I do need to update my NAV SW, though - I've got a 2000 with an early SW release and it takes me on some senseless routes sometimes, like getting off at a freeway exit only to get right back on the freeway (perhaps due to the bend in the freeway and the straightline off-and-on-again was deemed a shorter distance?)

B

·
0 Posts
misteryes said:
I apologize for not being more concise with my question and my followup. It isn't just the navigation system that I don't like, it's the whole unit. When I got the NAV unit as an option, all the stereo controls got rolled into it also. I do currently use the stereo on the screen, but the controls are just infuriating. I simply wish I had a "regular" BMW stereo head. It's probably the least intuitive stereo I have ever used.

Frankly, I find it strange that more M5er's don't complain about the system. If I could fix it, my car really would be perfect. (for me that is)

I appreciate the feedback! This is so fun to talk with other owners!
Why not just have it pulled, and install an aftermarket system that is much more compact and advanced? How about this:

Cheers, Daniel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts