BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently got in an accident in my M3 and it's looking like it will be totalled. I am considering moving over to an M5. I love the E39, imho one of the best looking sedans ever built.

My quandry is that my budget is $40k, and I was wondering if you all thought I could find one in good shape with reasonable mileage (under 50k) for that kind of money (preferably in that nice medium-dark blue, forgot the name of it).

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Doctor Love said:
Hi all,

Recently got in an accident in my M3 and it's looking like it will be totalled. I am considering moving over to an M5. I love the E39, imho one of the best looking sedans ever built.

My quandry is that my budget is $40k, and I was wondering if you all thought I could find one in good shape with reasonable mileage (under 50k) for that kind of money (preferably in that nice medium-dark blue, forgot the name of it).

Thanks for any info!
Yes, an 01, possibly an 02 with that mileage. Figure $2k extra if you buy from a dealer with CPO. Check recent threads, there are some sales that have gone through the auction to give you an idea what dealers are paying. That is your starting point of reference. I am sure others will chime in, especially those who have recently made similar purchases.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
377 Posts
Doctor Love said:
Hi all,

Thanks for any info!
I just bought a 2001 from http://eimports4less.com/ w/ 45438 mi. I paid $41,800. They have one just like it on ebay and it has only 21K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

and the current bid is $36100. :crying2:

I have watched ebay for about two years to get a good feel of selling prices.
in the last 2 months, this was the following sales. (if it was a color I didn't want, I didn't keep tabs)

2001 41.5K mi. $39,600
2002 39.9K Mi. $48,900
2000 37.8K mi. $38,900
2000 49.0K mi $37,900

Edmonds.com quoted for a 2001 /w 45,000 miles:

Trade-in: $41,553
Private Party:$44,664
Dealer:$47,686
CPO:$51,559

Hope that gives you an idea.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Doctor Love said:
Thanks for any info!
I bought my 00 Jet Black/Caramel, 52K miles with CPO to 100K last December for $38,500. I am sure you can find one for comparable if not less $$, maybe an 01 or higher mileage 02. The color you are looking for is called Carbon black, if you are patient I am sure you can find one, probably not at a dealer though. My local dealer was aking $45K for a 60K mile 00 Jet Black car that was pretty rough around the edges(smelled very badly like wet dog) and no CPO. I ended up buying my car from a list member from Long Island, and while there were a couple of "issues" with the transaction, overall I am pretty happy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Yes, a friend of mine is looking to sell their '00 Carbon black car. 45k miles and totally babied. Suggest a mid 30's bid might work.. let me know if you want me to find out more about the car....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys. The color I'm interested is not carbon black, it's a lighter blue than that - here's a pic of one:

Saw this one on Auto Trader, but the pricing looked a bit too good to be true:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=177215476

I'd also consider a darker grey or maybe silver. However I'd like to be able to extend the maintenance/warranty on it if it hasn't already been. Are there any sites that specialize in these types of sales or should I stick to auto trader/e-bay motors/etc? I doubt I could afford CPO from dealer :/

My g/f and I get lost a lot, so nav would be great too mmmmmm

·
Registered
377 Posts
Doctor Love said:
Thanks for the info guys. The color I'm interested is not carbon black, it's a lighter blue than that - here's a pic of one:

I'd also consider a darker grey or maybe silver. However I'd like to be able to extend the maintenance/warranty on it if it hasn't already been. Are there any sites that specialize in these types of sales or should I stick to auto trader/e-bay motors/etc? I doubt I could afford CPO from dealer :/

That seems like a reasonable price. Here's a link to info re: extended warranties:

http://www.extended-warranty.info/a...nty/?ref=google

I got nav with mine, but a lot of addresses I'd like to get to are not in the data base.

Goodluck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Fred - FYI I've heard they have an updated Nav DVD out, may be worth it for you if you're having trouble finding addresses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Doctor Love said:

I believe the color your are looking for is the Lemanns Blue. I am currently looking for the same color, probably an 01' with under 40k. I am looking to spend around 45k, maybe even 50k out the door.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks VROOM, I find that color stunning on the E39, hope I can find one! Good luck in your search too :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Got my 10/2000 Ti Sil/Black extended leather, 36,000 mi + 100,000 mi CPO for 37 grand. A happy camper I am (using Yoda voice).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ALEV8 said:
Got my 10/2000 Ti Sil/Black extended leather, 36,000 mi + 100,000 mi CPO for 37 grand. A happy camper I am (using Yoda voice).
Wow, that's a great deal, can I ask where you got it? I.E. private seller vs. dealer?

·
Registered
40 Posts

• Doctor Love said:
Doctor Love said:

I think there a thread recently on this particular car. I believe the car was in an accident and the driver side rear panel was redone. Search the archives, but I believe this was the same car. It's been advertised on Craig's List for quite some time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
private seller in IA who was on the board, and this car is as clean as any E39 I have EVER seen. I was afraid to sit in it for about the first 2 days.

This is my 3d E39. 528-540-M5!

·
Registered
58 Posts
i recently purchased a 03 m5, and dealt with several dealers before i settled in on the right car for the $$ ratio. depending on the instance i was able to talk the dealer down 5-10% off asking price for the cpo'ed vechile. i hope that this is helpful if you are looking for a cpo'ed vechile from a dealer. but from what i have seen for a 2000/2001 with less than 50k miles you should definitely be able to get out the door for 45-50k. best of luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Can I get into a nice E39 M5 for $40

Just brought a 2001 M5 40,000 miles for $37.2, very nice condition overall, spoke to previous owners got all service records and had $3,000 worth of "minor" work done under warranty that expires on 4/26/05. Car was missing owners manual, cd changer, several tools from kit and first aid. Otherwise 2 mechanics gave a thums up on condition. Looking for extended warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ALEV8 said:
private seller in IA who was on the board, and this car is as clean as any E39 I have EVER seen. I was afraid to sit in it for about the first 2 days.

This is my 3d E39. 528-540-M5!
Is your car a CPO car? Did You have it inspected before you purchased?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I wound up doing the more fiscally responsible thing and bought an M3 with a lot left on the warranty/maintenance package. Just wanted to stop back in and say thanks for the advice and insight, you guys rock!

For those who are curious, this is what I wound up buying:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/830185

Cheers! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts