BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have been having some intermittent problems with some thing on the can cutting out when driving hard... I connected dis up and there were no faults apart from the can line . It hasn't any details of the fault but said it couldn't clear it? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This hasnt gone away - its really annoying.. i get dbc/servotronic/start assist/abs failures all flash up just after the hud and cic come back on? any ideas? are there any diagnistics you can run on the CAn within DIS? i have checked my battery its at 70% health so dont think its that...

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Missed this ages ago, apologies...

What is the actual error code stored? There is a semi-useful test program in DIS/ISTA for CAN faults. The stored code should at least tell you which module dropped out off the bus. CAN is actually pretty straightforward, it's just a twisted pair of wires throughout the car with terminating resistors. A drop out could be anything from a module's connector being loose/oxidized/wet or as we just found on a friend's Jeep, due to a rat making a home and nibbling a bit on the line.

Reading the code should at least tell you which CAN bus (K-CAN or PT-CAN) and which module on it lost connection.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brilliant will check and let you know... Also when this happens windows don't work either

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Could be related. Are the windows inoperable from just the driver's seat or from all switch locations? The window switch modules send CAN signals to the unit that actually controls the motors. The window switch CAN ArbIDs are:

- Driver's switch center: ArbID 0x0FA with data in byte 0 and 1 (will be either 00 or FF)
- Passenger's switch center: ArbID 0x0FB with same data structure as driver's side

If the windows don't work from any location, you may be chasing the control module itself.

If the windows work from everywhere but the driver's side, the switch center in the driver's door may be the fault. Given the wiring is a twisted pair and has to run through the connector in the door frame, I wouldn't be surprised if the constant movement of wiring on the most frequently operated door on the car has created a problem.

This is all a SWAG until you have the error code though.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right long time no response but been busy so...

I get

E1C4 CANSYS: Car: K-CAN line fault
Fault Currently Present

AND

CAN - FFFF CANSYS: Communication Fault

The above two fault will not clear...

I then ran a Diagnosis Test on the Can and get:

The determined causes of fault are as follows:
[1]****DSC
[2]*** PT-CAN
[3]** EGS/SMG

The more stars that are assigned to a component the more certain the result that the cause of fault is to be found in the vicinity of the component.

Any idea where to start?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thread Revival BUMP!

I'm getting the E1C4 Error as well with DSC/ABS/Start-Off Assist error codes and reduced torque on my e60 M5 as well. Windows work just fine for me though. BMWhat app scans and throws out "unknown fault". Were you ever able to figure out what this was?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a bmw 645ci e63 2004 ,and dtc and electric steering not working only hydrolic steering works , its got the error d34b f-can communication fault ,,it spent long time in a shop didnt know whats wrong ,can you help me where to look ,, thank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts