BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have the "race" version... is there any special way to drive your beast when you want to be a bit more discreet in terms of sound. My concern is in morning drives to work through my neighborhood and nearby cities that I drive through (many cops). I really want the race and dont want to settle for sport version. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have the exhaust. let it warm up before you drive though the neighborhood. It is really loud when the car is cold. Keep the car in 400 mode and drive the car at a low rpm if you have to drive in 4th gear at 40 mph thats the best I can tell you. If you have the xpipe in you can take it out and add the stock mid section back in. there is not a big gain in HP with the xpipe. If you just have the exhaust and you think its loud now don't get the other sections. I personally didn't like it when i had sec 1 and 2 in. It sounded like a Honda civic with a hole in the muffler. now I have the SS headers stock midsection and eisenmann race exhaust. The car sounds really deep. Before it sounded like a race bike.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
That's what having a 2nd car is for!

It is hard to get something that will do everything for you.

If you are interested in an Eisenmann set up, hit me up, and I can get you set up with something.

Your car will probably be louder in the morning, considering the exhaust, etc, will be cold.

I would try to sway you over to the Meisterchaft, cause I just think that's how all E60 M5s should sound, it is amazing.

-Don

·
Registered
366 Posts
I messed around with a few different configurations of exhausts in order to get what I consider to be the right sound....not too loud and not to tame (quiet). I tried the E-Sport....too quiet, the E-Sport with Meisterschaft Sections 1 & 2....too quiet, E-Race....too loud.

I ended up with the E-Race with a pair of bullet resonators that were added right behind the stock Section 2 resonators. Adding the bullet resonators reduced the sound output by about 15% and now I'm really happy with the overall sound. It's not too loud on a cold start, cruising through the city at low RPM's it's sounds nice, but doesn't attract too much attention, and when I get on the throttle, it sounds awesome!

Here's a short clip of what my car sounds like with my current setup. This video doesn't do it justice and it sound much better in person and while driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4DiN273Thk

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

If you are interested in an Eisenmann set up, hit me up, and I can get you set up with something.

Your car will probably be louder in the morning, considering the exhaust, etc, will be cold.

I would try to sway you over to the Meisterchaft, cause I just think that's how all E60 M5s should sound, it is amazing.

-Don
maybe a Meisterchaft Touring.... which would be somewhere in between race and sport... right?

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Meisterschaft Touring is MUCH quieter than the E-Race, and only marginally louder than the E-Sport....not much louder than stock. If you're looking for something aggressive, you won't be satisfied with the M-Touring. IMHO of course....

maybe a Meisterchaft Touring.... which would be somewhere in between race and sport... right?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
You definitely need to consider the "cold start" volume. I have the Dinan, which is not a terribly loud system, but when I start her up in the morning, it is quite loud in the garage. My daughter's bedroom is right over the beast and last week she asked my wife why her room was shaking! And that is with the relatively tame Dinan.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree with Andrew 100%....the cold start on a loud exhaust like an Eisenmann Race or Meisterschaft GT can get ridiculously loud on a cold start. Before I had my E-Race modified I would set off car alarms in my parking garage EVERY morning....very annoying! With my modified E-Race, it's still loud but it doesn't set off car alarms (except for the very sensitive ones).

You definitely need to consider the "cold start" volume. I have the Dinan, which is not a terribly loud system, but when I start her up in the morning, it is quite loud in the garage. My daughter's bedroom is right over the beast and last week she asked my wife why her room was shaking! And that is with the relatively tame Dinan.

·
Registered
202 Posts

-Don

I agree with Don, I would skip spending all the money on the race plus sections 1&2 and go with a Meisterschaft GT exhaust. My neighbors have the Race, but it really sounds like a speed bike compared to the deep loud sound of the Meisterschaft.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree with Don, I would skip spending all the money on the race plus sections 1&2 and go with a Meisterschaft GT exhaust. My neighbors have the Race, but it really sounds like a speed bike compared to the deep loud sound of the Meisterschaft.
Actually I like the sound of the "speed bike". I just want the Eisenmann race sound turned down 10 decibels.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Polar993 - I have the E- Race and have often wondered if it could be tamed at lower speeds / RPM's...sounds good to me...where did you get the resonators, and did you consider the Eiseman, or Dinan?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't know specifically what brand resonator my mechanic used, but they are small...about 14" in length and they are installed right before the E-Race mufflers. My mechanic ordered the parts, and he has been really bad about returning my calls inquiring about the brand he used.

The shop I went to for the resonator install is not my regular mechanic. For the resonators I went to Junipero Serra Auto Repair....a high-end Porsche Tuner just south of San Francisco. The owner of the shop's name is Jimmy, and their number is (650) 992-0978. You can give him a call to inquire about the resonators and try to find out the brand he used.

I did consider the Dinan, but thought it would be too quiet. I had the Dinan exhaust on my 6-series and it was a bit too tame for me.

Polar993 - I have the E- Race and have often wondered if it could be tamed at lower speeds / RPM's...sounds good to me...where did you get the resonators, and did you consider the Eiseman, or Dinan?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have the exhaust. let it warm up before you drive though the neighborhood. It is really loud when the car is cold. Keep the car in 400 mode and drive the car at a low rpm if you have to drive in 4th gear at 40 mph thats the best I can tell you. If you have the xpipe in you can take it out and add the stock mid section back in. there is not a big gain in HP with the xpipe. If you just have the exhaust and you think its loud now don't get the other sections. I personally didn't like it when i had sec 1 and 2 in. It sounded like a Honda civic with a hole in the muffler. now I have the SS headers stock midsection and eisenmann race exhaust. The car sounds really deep. Before it sounded like a race bike.
Damnn when did you switch it up?? I loved your car before, but do you have any new soundclip's???? :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts