BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual is a bit vague but mine can't play MP3s on a CD in either the stacker or the single CD player in the cabin.

·
Registered
540 Posts
sydl said:
The owner's manual is a bit vague but mine can't play MP3s on a CD in either the stacker or the single CD player in the cabin.
Cars with Professional navigation have to wait untill the October/November software update for MP3 capability

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chris.bailey said:
Mine plays CD's with MP3's in the head unit but not in the stacker ??????
Chris - can I ask how you made the CD with the MP3s on it? I think this might be one of the key reasons.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine does have Nav Pro. Have burnt discs using iTunes and they work fine (though I am not a lover of MP3).

I also have Logic7 so maybe that makes a difference.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris, I have iTunes on a mac too - are you sure you made MP3s? Some of the iTunes function actually makes a standard CD from your playlist.

Can you explain how you made the CD with iTunes?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Defo MP3 Cd as that is the way my Itunes is set-up. The disc I created would not play in my Cyrus Cd8 Hi-Fi player but would play in the head unit on the M5. The same disc was unrecognised in the stacker.

·
Registered
540 Posts
chris.bailey said:
Mine does have Nav Pro. Have burnt discs using iTunes and they work fine (though I am not a lover of MP3).

I also have Logic7 so maybe that makes a difference.
Then yours must be the only one in the world

We have hundreds of pro nav owners on E60 forums waiting for MP3 software, and BMW Germany confirmed it will ony come out in CIP21 in October/November

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chris.bailey said:
Defo MP3 Cd as that is the way my Itunes is set-up.
Hi Chris, Just burnt 3 CDs from iTunes and no luck. Can you advise:
1. How many tracks do you have on your CD?
2. Are they all in folders at the top level?
3. Are you burning from iTunes mac or windows?

Thanks, Syd

·
Registered
251 Posts
for what it's worth, my SLK55 also has a harmon kardon Logic7 with a glovebox 6-changer + 1 headunit drive which seems to be the same config as the one on the E60 M5. Since it's the same manufacturer with the same logic7 electronics, I'd assume it would play the same type of media. It plays MP3 CD-R/RW's as well as MP3 DVD-R/RW's on the headunit but not on the changer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
SuperBMW said:
Then yours must be the only one in the world

We have hundreds of pro nav owners on E60 forums waiting for MP3 software, and BMW Germany confirmed it will ony come out in CIP21 in October/November
Makes a change as normally I get something that wont do what it should ??????

Will re-check when I get home this evening :confused3

·
Registered
162 Posts
I tried today to play MP3 Data CD made in Both Itunes (mac) and Windows Media playeer. I tried the disk in Changer , In Dash CD and DVD it wasn't recognised or played in any of them, asked dealer today about it, they didn't know but said they would check.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can confirm that I can play MP3 files on my July build M5, made the disk using Windows media, have not tried it in the changer but works a treat in the one above the DVD slot, I too have Logic 7 if that makes a difference? Only problem is that my Itunes is set to AAC, so I will have to reload any music i want in MP3 format.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
MPWR said:
I can confirm that I can play MP3 files on my July build M5, made the disk using Windows media.
Thanks - what version Windows Media Player? On XP I presume?

Are you sure Media Player has made a CD with MP3s on it? If you select Burn Playlist it will make an Audio CD that plays on standard CD players and not a data disc with MP3s on it according to Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/9series/howto/burningmixCD.aspx)

To check, try and make a CD disk with more than 80 mins of music - if it makes standard audio CDs you'll get a 'wont fit on CD' error. (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq.aspx#7_5)

·
Registered
540 Posts
MPWR said:
I can confirm that I can play MP3 files on my July build M5, made the disk using Windows media, have not tried it in the changer but works a treat in the one above the DVD slot, I too have Logic 7 if that makes a difference? Only problem is that my Itunes is set to AAC, so I will have to reload any music i want in MP3 format.
Do you have Professional Naviagation ?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
"Burn" makes an audio CD (uncompressed WAV). To put mp3 files on a CD, you do not use Media Player but just Windows Explorer and drag and drop them from their source location to the target CD burner. If you don't have mp3 files, you can "rip" them from an audio CD.

Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes you are correct, I have just checked the CD and it did create a Audio CD, have since tried using MP3 files and it did not work!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
chris.bailey said:
...Will re-check when I get home this evening :confused3
Chris, did you check whether you made a MP3 disk or a standard audio disk? If you made a MP3 disk I'd love to know the steps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts