BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on talking to a few places this week to get quotes for install pricing and would like to have some point of reference.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My shop came it at about 8 hours, maybe 9.

Note this included fabricated runs from the headers to aftermarket cats to the Tubi....

My signature is wrong...lots o' mods installed...:wroom:

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
jjc1843 said:
My shop came it at about 8 hours, maybe 9.

Note this included fabricated runs from the headers to aftermarket cats to the Tubi......:wroom:

I was also billed about 8 hours, including time for make some alignment adjustments with the connector pipes to the stock cats, which for some reason didn't line up well.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you guys have it done at the dealership or an independent shop?

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
madyspop said:
Did you guys have it done at the dealership or an independent shop?
Independent. He also does lots of race car prep. This was his first E39 M5, but no problems. He spoke to Bill ( Shadowman )once I believe re lifting engine on drivers side to get off exh manifold. Mech spaced out install over 2 separate days. Forgot, charges also included swapping out rear diff, so deduct .5-1.0 hours.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know of any write-ups on how to do the install?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Madyspop, which headers first off? I ask because the hamann/supersprints are easier to install.
I've seen times from 8-10 hours
Back to the install, some have lifted the motor or held is a better description .
Then you can take the manifolds loose(all connections,pipes and to head ect..), in my situation with RDSport headers(or any 1 piece headers) the guys removed the lower subframe and then tried to finagle the manifolds out from below. I've heard some had to cut the factory manifolds to get them out of the tight home they are in.
One good thing about going from below and lowering the subframe is it's a good time to install the larger front swaybar since the subframe has to be lowered anyway, and by doing so the labor time overlaps.
If your getting the S/S's you'd then install the inividual pipes and then collector, I'd imaging it's alot easier with fitiment.
My connector pipes didn't work I had to have some made which was fine because I had some metallic cats on the way and I had a nicer connector pipe with cats made.
It is quite a job.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Dinan quoted 14 hours for my headers, but the local dealer installed them in about 11 hrs.
This was there first set of Dinan M5 headers, but they commented that the Dinan installation instructions were so detailed, that it took the guesswork out of the installation.
They bolted right up without any modifications.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am planning on going with the Supersprint setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts