BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I need either an electric model or cordless rechargable if they are not junk. It would be usedon occasion and not on a daily or regular basis, so I do not wish to get the air driven versions. It would be used for switching tires/rims in my garage.
Thank you. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update..............

I bit the bullet and purchased an electric imapct driver. I purchased it from the internet site known as HARBOR FREIGHT. Does anyone have any experience with their goods? Quality or junk???
The driver is made by "Chicago Electric Power Tools, Industrial". Has anyone ever heard of this company? If so, how are they with respect to their product line?
Thanks guys. :cheers:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Milwaukee has the best cordless impact gun out there (that I've seen). Bosch has some nice ones as well, but not as much torque as the Milwaukee, but at around $300, the Milwaukee is pricey. The Bosch ones are cheaper.

As for Harbor Freight, they are known for medicore quality CHEAP tools, but they have excellent warranties. The Chicago Electric tools will not last you a "lifetime" like other quality tools may, but they replace them without question when they break. My torque wrench is from Harbor Freight and it has served me well, and it has lifetime warranty. I've purchased a bunch of other misc tools from them and for the price I cannot complain.

I do not purchase major power tools however, since I'd rather pay extra up front to not have to deal with replacing them, even though I do have a store < 10 mins away.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Update..............

FAST 5 said:
I bit the bullet and purchased an electric imapct driver. I purchased it from the internet site known as HARBOR FREIGHT. Does anyone have any experience with their goods? Quality or junk???
The driver is made by "Chicago Electric Power Tools, Industrial". Has anyone ever heard of this company? If so, how are they with respect to their product line?
i bought the chicago unit as well, and found that i could not begin to budge any of the lug nuts. It just sat there and spun, and didn't seem to have enough inertia to budge the nuts. I haven't seen many electric units that can match the power of the air ones.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
question sfm5...............

sfm5 said:
i bought the chicago unit as well, and found that i could not begin to budge any of the lug nuts. It just sat there and spun, and didn't seem to have enough inertia to budge the nuts. I haven't seen many electric units that can match the power of the air ones.

So the chicago unit inpact driver didn't work or do the job ??? being that I just placed the order Sunday evening, should I cancel my order on Monday morning?
thanks for your input.
Robert

·
Registered
463 Posts

bought it earlier this year. I think it was about $225 at Amazon. nice tool. great power, breaks and spins off the bolts in about 2-3 secs. I'm not crazy about the rocker-style off/on trigger, and would rather have a separate button, but I still like it. Milwaukee is nice too; it's a little bulkier though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: question sfm5...............

FAST 5 said:
So the chicago unit inpact driver didn't work or do the job ??? being that I just placed the order Sunday evening, should I cancel my order on Monday morning?
thanks for your input.
Robert
Definitely cancel it. I now have a paper weight myself. Some of the pricier units may be able to do the job, but the Chicago one (about $20/30, right?) did not even budge the nut. Again, you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Re: question sfm5...............

I have the Milwaukee 18v. This thing is very very powerful. Breaks lugs free all day without a problem. Take it to the track with 2 batteries and let all your friends use it too. Bought it online for about 250.

Jordan

ps I know the Dewalt, Makita and Snap On are good too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: Update..............

FAST 5 said:

I've had one, Model #45252 for about 3 years now and I love it. I use it instead of dragging out all of the compressor stuff. It works great. It's not cordless and the torque is good enough to over torque if you drive a lug too long. Overall I agree the Chicago tools are pretty cheap and generally not worth the hassle of perodicaly exchanging when they break. I had three Chicago cordless impact drivers before I gave up and tried the corded version. I'm talking wheels off of my cars for a variety of reasons e.g. track day, brake jobs, bleeding brake fluid etc. so it gets much more use than someone rotating tires once a year. Maybe I've been lucky but I'd highly recommend it for light use.

Cal

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
huummm........

Interesting that "cal" stepped up to this thread and gave a positive or at least decent review on the item, I've questioned. Here's the deal guys, Being in fear of winding up with a hunk of junk, I quickly contacted Harbor Freight and told them to cancel my oder. They did cancel it. Now I just read cal's reply. oh.. boy...........
The Harbor Freight unit (which is the exact same model number as Cal mentioned) costs $48.00 with shipping. LOL........................
The Milwaukee impact driver model # 9079-22 costs $300.00 from Sears toll catalog. By the way the same Milwaukee unit at Amazon costs $30.00 more than Sears! Whats up with that?!?!? What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?
Thanks guys.
Robert

·
Registered
244 Posts
Re: huummm........

I can only give my input on the Milwaukee. It is a high quality unit. I bought it from toolfetch.com. I have no issues with it. Just one battery replaced. When it comes to tools we you get what you pay for. I think the HF stuff is hit or miss as the QC is not great accross the tool line. You may get a great one or you may get a dog. There is a thread on bimmer forums http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370260

I say spend the $ and get the best tool you can.

Jordan

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Jordan........

Thanks for that informative link, which I've just read. Bottom line getting a HF tool is a gamble, maybe decent but then it might be junk. Its pot luck. The consensus seems to be get the more recognized name brand, quality tool, even though its more money but less in terms of headache. Thank you. :M5thumbs:
Milwaukee impact driver ($300.00) Sears tool catalog 9079-22 will be my choice. I'll get and be done with it. :)

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jordan,
I just sealed the deal with Sears for the Milwaukee impact driver. The sales operator gave me 10% off the price which lowed the cost to $270.00 ! Wow.......!!!!!!
I am a happy camper! Should be here in a fe days. Thanks again for pushing me in the right direction. :hihi:

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I've never used an impact driver on my wheels. Breaker bar to loosen, and torque wrench to tighten.

I turn the lugs by hand once loose....

I've got an air powered impact wrench, and a dewalt cordless, but just never felt it necessary for wheels... old habits die hard I guess...

Adam

·
Registered
235 Posts
Doesn't this type of post belong in Off Topic?

Oh.. and don't use the impact wrench on the wheels of the car... can damage them ... torq by hand

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I used to have a Milwaukee that I bought from Harbor Freight years ago. One of the two included batteries died rather quickly, leaving me with only one. That one suffered from worse and worse lifespan after each full charge, and the unit itself was heavy to lug around (I bring mine to the track) so I ended up getting a Snap On 18V unit. It's pretty light but best of all it's super heavy duty and the batteries have tons of life on them. Expensive, but if you want something that won't let you down, I think this might be it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had one battery go bad. But got it replaced. No problems since then. I had heard about a bad run of batteries. I have one original battery left and it holds a charge just like the new one.

I would agree that the Snap On would be a bit better. If this one takes a **** I will move up to the Snap On.

Jordan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts