BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Id like to clean out my MAFS when I replace my air filters (car seems a bit sluggish lately) and I'm having a very hard time finding the 5 point/tamper proof Torx T20 bit. Evidently they don't sell them to the general public.

If anyone can get me one (so I can buy it from you) or let me borrow one, I'd appreciate it greatly. I'd be more than happy to pay for shipping and your troubles. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Wiha makes all kinds of fastener bits. They sell security torx bits. Check them out.

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Wiha is a source. Unfortunately they will not sell that bit. You must be a certified purchaser of those fasteners - they will actually check and make sure that you are a company and you actually buy those fasteners.

Anyway, that was last time I checked.

Decided not to screw with them (pun intended) and dremeled the head off and replaced the screws. (THis was NOT on an M...:))

ard

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Are we talking a six point torx security bit- or a 5 point torx security bit? Both have a hole in the middle (such that the raised center point in the fastener goes into the hole in the end?)

The latter is the one I was referring to as a security bit...

http://www.wihatools.com/716_IPR_serie.htm

ard

PS There's some confusion over 5 vs 6 points.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
You can find Torx security bits and/or drivers at Home Depot or Lowes

:cheers:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the crazy 5-point one.

I actually bought the ones from Sears, but they are the 6 point security bits. The 5 point one is the special one.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
XrayMD said:
You can find Torx security bits and/or drivers at Home Depot or Lowes

5 point or 6?

Near as I know, there are several varieties for torx:

5 point
6 point
5 point security
6 point security

3 of these are freely available.

ard

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
BM5W said:
Can you drill a small hole in the tip of a 5-point Torx bit?
I can't. Torx bits are generally harder than a drill bit. The 5 point with a hole is likely more common than a 5 point with no hole. Obviously a security bit with a hole in the middle works on either application.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I have a Snap-on tamper proof set but it's 6-point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am a Field Manager for Snap-On Tools. We have just released an 11-piece, 5-point, security torx set (211EFTXRTPY) which includes sizes 8-55 and costs $230. In mid-november you will be able to purchase just the T20 on a socket (TTXR20TPE) or just the bit (TTXR20TPE2). The single socket with the bit will be around $20 and the bit by itself will be $12.20.

Hobbez said:
Id like to clean out my MAFS when I replace my air filters (car seems a bit sluggish lately) and I'm having a very hard time finding the 5 point/tamper proof Torx T20 bit. Evidently they don't sell them to the general public.

If anyone can get me one (so I can buy it from you) or let me borrow one, I'd appreciate it greatly. I'd be more than happy to pay for shipping and your troubles. :M5thumbs:

Drop me an email at [email protected] or send me a PM here. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Interesting, ya learn something new everyday! The 5-point Torx security device is generally know as Torx Security Plus.

Thanks for the info about the upcoming Snap On products Robert.

I cleaned my MAFs without removing them from the tubing. I sprayed the MAFs and screen withElectrO-WasH PX by Chemtronics. It's a cleaner degreaser which leaves no residue and is safe for plastic. The "PX" designation indicates safe for plastic and extra strength. They have other formulations so if you order it, make sure to get the PX form. One source for it is http://www.action-electronics.com/ctclean.htm about 1/4 way down the page.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
ray540inyc said:
hey robert , how did mac tools beat out snap on for the monster garage give aways on tlc?
just curious

ray
But they made up for it with American Chopper :hihihi:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts