BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching and didn't find much info.
I was wondering if something like that would be possible and if it would compete with G-Power 830HP build

Price wise it seems much cheaper to get a dinan stroker and supercharge it at ESS instead of going the G-Power route, unless G-Power provides more power.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yes ,it's possible. :M5launch:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes ,it's possible. :M5launch:
Now I know it's a long shot but id be interested in getting some numbers from that set up
Maybe roman from ESS can chime in if he knows of anyone who's done that, if he still posts here

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Reactions: DinanBMWM5

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Now I know it's a long shot but id be interested in getting some numbers from that set up
Maybe roman from ESS can chime in if he knows of anyone who's done that, if he still posts here
No one has done it yet which is why I am being the guinea pig, there are a lot of unknowns as you just can't slap on the SC kit to a stroker.

Purchasing a stroker is pricey so shop around as there are other routes to getting this done.

ESS is doing my build.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I personally think it is overkill. 700 crank horsepower is plenty from the VT2. I guess if you had to have the extra power, dropping in 10:1 pistons, putting on a bigger vortec unit, and cranking up the boost would be easier. ESS leaves a lot of horsepower on the table in their tune to ensure reliability so you could roll the dice and gain there as well.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I personally think it is overkill. 700 crank horsepower is plenty from the VT2. I guess if you had to have the extra power, dropping in 10:1 pistons, putting on a bigger vortec unit, and cranking up the boost would be easier. ESS leaves a lot of horsepower on the table in their tune to ensure reliability so you could roll the dice and gain there as well.
If you want extra power you could just drop compression and change pulley, you do not need to spend extra on a bigger Vortech unit.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want extra power you could just drop compression and change pulley, you do not need to spend extra on a bigger Vortech unit.
What about the transmission, will any modifications need to be made in order for it to handle this much power?
I seriously can't wait to see how your car does after all of this.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
What about the transmission, will any modifications need to be made in order for it to handle this much power?
I seriously can't wait to see how your car does after all of this.
Will not know till it's done but after asking Gpower what they did to their SMG system to handle the 800+hp they said nothing which is hard to believe :dunno:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Check out there other units. They flow more psi at a given rpm than our units.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Check out there other units. They flow more psi at a given rpm than our units.
Yep true, I had one on my G35 before going TT but unless you want to go big then it is not necc to change units. There is still another 4.5psi in this unit to mess with.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Will not know till it's done but after asking Gpower what they did to their SMG system to handle the 800+hp they said nothing which is hard to believe :dunno:

I can believe the actual transmission being able to handle 800 HP....but the clutch is a different story all together. I would think it would have to be upgraded to prevent slippage at WOT.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can believe the actual transmission being able to handle 800 HP....but the clutch is a different story all together. I would think it would have to be upgraded to prevent slippage at WOT.
It'll be interesting to see how the spec clutch holds up

That's where ACG comes in, he's doing all the testing for all us g-force junkies. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Paul,

Like we discussed, its not as simple as dropping compression. The main weak points on the S85 are the bed plate, along with the crank sprocket for the vanos oil pump. With high HP, both are guaranteed to fail, most guys making anything above 650hp are already rolling the dice. If whoever is doing the build has no idea what im talking about, id be a little hesitant. Both of these areas should be addressed if dropping compression is being considered.

I look forward to seeing where your build goes!

Good Luck
-R

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Paul,

Like we discussed, its not as simple as dropping compression. The main weak points on the S85 are the bed plate, along with the crank sprocket for the vanos oil pump. With high HP, both are guaranteed to fail, most guys making anything above 650hp are already rolling the dice. If whoever is doing the build has no idea what im talking about, id be a little hesitant. Both of these areas should be addressed if dropping compression is being considered.

I look forward to seeing where your build goes!

Good Luck
-R
Thanks Raza, I have discussed this with them about over a month ago. We have prob gone through the whole build with the engineers and techs numerous times. Now it's time to order parts and start some custom work.

·
Registered
495 Posts
We have supercharged a stroked M3 and the car was a beast to drive. We have also done a LC motor build on the M3 and run it to 725 CHP. Supercharging a Dinan V8 or V10 stroker motor would be easy if we had the vehicle here and based on Dinan's reputation for motor builds it would be very reliable.

This is the M3 stock VS stroked to 4.6 then supercharged. The top end power over our higher HP kits was not significant but the TQ / low end power delivery made a big difference.

The LC S65 build allowed us to run higher boost than our standard kit on the motor safely and make some nice additional power. This is the car stock VS running our standard VT2 series kit and with the VT3 built motor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts