BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved a ticket for 'speed contest' which basically means I was racing someone. Fact of the matter is I wasnt racing my friend just got hot-headed in his new car started revvin the engine and took off and I followed him into the parking lot, but I didnt accelerate hard or break the speed limit. The cop said he didnt see us take off just heard a car racing. Is there a way I can get out of this ticket. Im 17 years old and dont want a ticket like this on my record, especially when I did nothing wrong!!!
Anyone know a good lawyer in the marin county? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for your help,
Alex

·
Registered
180 Posts
i have no idea where you stand as far as american law goes but id like to know how someone would be able to prove you were racing just by word of mouth of one officer?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the "officer" had reason to believe we were racing from hearing a car race off. If he saw our cars he would have seen my friend clearly pulling away and me driving normally. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
152 Posts
In the words of Public Enemy, "fight the power".

Seems very harsh, i'm sure they can't prove anything. Here In the UK we have something called "The citizens advise bureaux" a free service, one in most towns, you can go and ask advice about things like this.

Do you not have a similar service in the US you can get free advice from?!

Good luck with it!!

Dyl

·
Registered
175 Posts
You might want to visit the National Motorists Assn web site (motorists.org) to get info on a good lawyer or other ways to fight the ticket. Well worth the small cost of joining up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have heared that in new york and officer's testimony is sufficient to meet the burden of proof in traffic court. afterall he witnesses the events and can testify to what he saw.

In your case, while he had "reason to believe" you were racing based upon what he heard, how did he know who was doing what if he never saw the events which support the issuance of the ticket. I would definitely speak with an attorney famliar with traffic court practices in your area.

I once had a friend tell me that while driving on the highway in his camaro he was pulled over by a cop. when he asked what he did wrong the cop stated that he saw my friend weaving in and out of traffic in an unsafe manner. My friend denied the charge and pointed out that there were at least three other camaros that had passed him on the highway. the cop stated that he believed it was my friend and was writing the ticket. I don't think my friend fought the ticket since he believed that he would not win the battle once the officer swore that it was my friends car.

Good luck with the fight.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
No he can't do that it's word vs word, but your 17 so your gonna get bent over.

I'm 24 and when I was home visting my parents one time, I ended up in their garage and a cop walking up on me, saying "boy, I dont' know how it is IN NC, but round here we dont' speed", " I heard that engine of yours"

Now keep in mind i Just pulled in to a garage of a woman in PA...But he heard my engine....I got nothing out of it cuz i shut the door in his face, but I should have gotten his badge and sued him for herrasment.

By the way I never even hit the throttle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ok first off let me just say that I hate you for the car you drive at 17 :haha:

I'm 20, but so far I'm loving my 120d. Going to buy the E90 330i near the end of the year though. Still not an ///M5. But one day, one day... :3:

Back to the point, if it happened in SA, the cop would propably come over to see my sweet ride, and if I gave him a 2l Coke he would leave :haha2:

I think if you go see an attorney, he would sort this cop out quick-quick. We don't need to be harrassed because we are young. Even though I drive more aggressively than most people, I never do it in such a way as to endanger other road users. I'd say im in the top 5% of safe drivers, mostly because mosts motorists over here are thick as a brick. The only accident I have to my name is when someone hit my car while it was parked :crying:

Fight for your right! :byee55amg

·
Registered
739 Posts
You need to find a local attorney who handles traffic tickets. I got a ticket from a cop on I95 in Virginia after I had a fender bender with an 18 wheeler. The ticket was for failure to yield right of way. I hired an attorney and he got it dismissed because the cop hadn't actually observed the incident.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts