BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing an engine transplant and am considering dumping the factory electronics (DME) in favor of a full aftermarket computer. Makes things simpler in some ways (ditch the MAFS, EWS etc.), but of course more difficult with having to setup all the base parameters (cold start, idle etc.). Doing the actual AF tuning isn't too much of a worry, but the cam timing is. Does anyone have a lookup table of the actual VANOS cam adjustments? Or does anyone have a piggy-back ECU capable of logging this information? Any possible info. from OBD?

This is my biggest hesitation with ditching the stock ECU as I'd rather have a base to start with the cam timing rather than doing it all from scratch.

If anyone is wondering why I don't hook-up the aftermarket ECU to the factory DME and log the cam positions, its because getting everything to work in stock form would require EWS, DME, I believe instrument cluster etc. which I don't have. In that case, I might as well go with the stock setup. Any info. or nudges in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
MOTEC is your answer they've already done the work for this engine using their system.

M5_SMG said:
I'm doing an engine transplant and am considering dumping the factory electronics (DME) in favor of a full aftermarket computer. Makes things simpler in some ways (ditch the MAFS, EWS etc.), but of course more difficult with having to setup all the base parameters (cold start, idle etc.). Doing the actual AF tuning isn't too much of a worry, but the cam timing is. Does anyone have a lookup table of the actual VANOS cam adjustments? Or does anyone have a piggy-back ECU capable of logging this information? Any possible info. from OBD?

This is my biggest hesitation with ditching the stock ECU as I'd rather have a base to start with the cam timing rather than doing it all from scratch.

If anyone is wondering why I don't hook-up the aftermarket ECU to the factory DME and log the cam positions, its because getting everything to work in stock form would require EWS, DME, I believe instrument cluster etc. which I don't have. In that case, I might as well go with the stock setup. Any info. or nudges in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Motec can get you what you need to do the job. Contact the Motec group in California as they build the kit for it.I would have suggest Dinan but he doesn't use the Vanos(even in racing they can't keep it working).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. I'm actually a MoTeC distributor, but don't want to use a Motec on this project. Motec is actually Australian, by the way.

The problem isn't with getting my chosen ECU to run the cams, but rather to have a base map for the cams to start with. I'd rather not tune from scratch if someone (like Motec) can provide the map or even the factory map.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If this is a race application, the Vanos only really helps below 5000 rpm...so you can go ahead and ditch it....

I would contact MOTEC USA to see if they have a map. PTG (Prototype Technology Group) has run the M5 Motor in an M3 for a few races. So I think such a map probably exists.

The Dinan BMW M5 engine does not use VANOS primarily because of weight. The VANOS is fairly heavy and sits up high, and since they have good gearing to keep it above 5000 rpm, there is not much lost by not having VANOS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts