1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They look VERY similar.

M5:

540i:

The benefit of the 540i being that the guides, which are the part that actually wear out on the piece, are available separately:

$5 per instead of $150 per (M5 guides/tensioner combo unit).

Anyone looked into it?

·
Registered
814 Posts
That's an interesting find. It may cost less but if you put it in perspective of the other "while I'm at it" maintenance items I wonder if the overall cost would change much.

Are you in a situation where the plastic guide has worn down and the tensioner spring is still fine? I ask since I have seen the opposite happen, in which case I'd just replace the whole unit anyway.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an interesting find. It may cost less but if you put it in perspective of the other "while I'm at it" maintenance items I wonder if the overall cost would change much.

Are you in a situation where the plastic guide has worn down and the tensioner spring is still fine? I ask since I have seen the opposite happen, in which case I'd just replace the whole unit anyway.
Yeah, "while I'm in there" is exactly where I am. $1800 "in there" so far, debating if I should take that to $2100 :p.

On the m62tu it's the guide that wears apart, tensioner is good for several guide replacements. I don't know what the service life of the tensioner is on the s62. My goal is to lock down everything that will likely go before 200,000 miles (at 100,000 now). I'll spend the money if necessary, just don't want to needlessly :p

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yeah, "while I'm in there" is exactly where I am. $1800 "in there" so far, debating if I should take that to $2100 :p.

On the m62tu it's the guide that wears apart, tensioner is good for several guide replacements. I don't know what the service life of the tensioner is on the s62. My goal is to lock down everything that will likely go before 200,000 miles (at 100,000 now). I'll spend the money if necessary, just don't want to needlessly :p
I just skimmed over your other thread, some nice work going on there :)

If you're after peace of mind for the next 100k, just replace it. It's not very fun to have to remove the upper timing chain cover and cam sprocket(s) to get to the tensioner later.

(I still can't fathom how it is possible to replace the tensioner without removing the cam chain)

·
Registered
128 Posts
They are different. The S62 tensioner is where the oil for the vanos comes from. That filter (I think it's called) plugs into the tensioner then across the the cover. The m62 of course doesn't have this.
I have the old tensioners laying on the bench and a set of guides for a m62, I'll look to see if they fit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are different. The S62 tensioner is where the oil for the vanos comes from. That filter (I think it's called) plugs into the tensioner then across the the cover. The m62 of course doesn't have this.
I have the old tensioners laying on the bench and a set of guides for a m62, I'll look to see if they fit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I ordered new tensioners, because I couldn't help myself, but I may also order some new guides to see how they fit on the used S62 tensioner that I take off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know this is abit of a revive, but didn't want to start a new thread, what sort of job is it to replace this upper timing chain tensioner?

I have this small tapping at idle, dissapears when you pick the revs up to about 1,000 ish. Saw a video of someone who had something which sounded very similar and changing the upper tensioner fixed it for them.

I've already replaced the lower one.

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think the procedure is basically Jamie's diaphragm spring DIY but you also have to remove all three sprockets (duplex sprocket + cam sprockets) including the chain between the cams (all this per bank) to have easy access. Duplex chain stays in but the empty end/ends of it can be ziptied to keep it in place during the tensioner installation before cam sprockets and duplex sprocket are installed back.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/201209-diy-vanos-spring-plate-renewal.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/195040-cam-timing-chain-tensioner-2.html

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks, just read through the guide sounds like great fun. I'll live with the sound for now, a job for the summer I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts