BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am replacing both of my camshaft position sensors (both in Bank 2, I'm assuming these are the exhaust sensors of the camshaft).

My question is pretty simple ... where are these sensors located ? Are they in the rear of the motor or in front ?

I'm almost positive I located the sensors; I removed the intake and saw the line going into the sensor, but it seems like there's some labor involved to actually getting to these sensors.

Does anybody have a map or a great link/site to guide me through this process? I definitely need to pick up a manual for the 2000 M5, but in the meantime, any help or lead in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ... however, that particular write up was the intake sensors; he mentioned they are roughly in the same area, can I take his word for it?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I want to make sure I replacing the correct sensors.

Again, the Code readings are for Bank 2. These are the exhaust side sensors, correct?

So these would be located towards the rear of the car ? They are difficult to find as there's hardly any room for your hands.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Make sure you replace the right one. Bank 2 sensor B is the drivers side CPS on the back of the motor by the firewall. It was a TOTAL [email protected]$ch to get and replace. I have big hands, and I barely got the job done.

Remember:

Bank 2 drivers side (US)
Bank 1 pass side (US)
Sensor B = exhaust
Sensor A = intake

Good luck and have small hands for the exhaust CPS.

LL

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bank 2 sensors are BOTH on the driver's side, correct?

Both code readings say Bank 2 for them, so both these sensors are on the driver's side and need to be replaced, right?

TIA,

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The exhaust sensors are such a PITA that I paid a shop to do it for me. The mechanic had a pretty good burn on his arm when he finished. Worth what I paid. Every once in awhile, DIY isn't cost effective.

Steve
hiha

·
Registered
53 Posts
I tried to do it myself (bank 2, exhaust CPS), but couldn't do it. Spent many, many
hours trying to change it. The mechanic changed it from the bottom of the care, not
as I tried, from the engine-room. Intake is easier, and bank 1 is also alot easier.

Rgds,
Kjell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts