BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:byee55amg

Just got new PS2s on the Beast, and had the tire place (which came highly recommended by an x-BMW Service writer and M3 owner) do a four wheel alignment.

The place was brimming with customer service and help...

except...

When I got the read outs back from the alignment, one of the front camber adjustments was out of spec, and the combination of the two (composite) readings were out of spec.

Their computer and guide said that there were no camber adjustments for the M5. I feel that is not the case.

Could anyone shead a little light on this? I brought this to the attention of the store, and they didn't charge me for the alignment. The guy (and he's german) has been doing this type of work for 15 years and stands by the fact that he can't adjust the camber.

??

May I ask The Collective for your assimilated knowledge.

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
463 Posts
sptbike said:
Their computer and guide said that there were no camber adjustments for the M5. I feel that is not the case.
I've read and been told the same: there's no front camber adjustment.

When I had the Dinan Stage III suspension installed, I asked for the alignment printout and pointed out to the dealer that the front camber numbers didn't make sense (i.e., there was very little change from stock). I was told that the fix involved reseating one of the front struts, FWIW. I also noted that both the BMW and Dinan spec sheets allowed for a +/- 0.5 degree tolerance in front camber, which struck me as very high relative to a target number of -1.5 degrees.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Correct - no camber adjustment for stock M5.

Try Dinan camber plates or Ground Control who offers them as well. I hear KMAC is not a very good product.

I am interested if any one has the Ground Control plates in use with a stock suspension? Any one have it?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
THere is no front camber or caster adjustment, just the rear.

Things you can do is get camber plates.

Dinan- has them but they are fixed mount style and give you some more negitive camber but no adjustability.

GC camber plates as of right now are only for their suspention, though last i knew they where working on a factory style.

K-Mac camber plates, have a good track record and give you the adjustability you want...Many on here have them and like them...ONe person does not.

·
Registered
590 Posts
sptbike said:
When I got the read outs back from the alignment, one of the front camber adjustments was out of spec, and the combination of the two (composite) readings were out of spec.
Bob what are the specs the shop gave you?

Joe

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Ground Control now has adjustable camber plates that work with the stock suspension and don't raise the ride height like Dinans. I'm real tempted to go this route but haven't decided whether to do adjustable shocks or the full GC coil overs as well. See http://www.ground-control-store.com/ but you'll need to talk to Jay to get the full scoop. Does anyone have the to give an opinion.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
On my older BMW, there was to be wieght loaded to the car when checking.
Also the fuel tank was to have a required level.
I have never heard anything about that on the E39s

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
6spd said:
On my older BMW, there was to be wieght loaded to the car when checking.
Also the fuel tank was to have a required level.
I have never heard anything about that on the E39s
they do to

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I looked and did find the required loading
Both front seats get 150# each, center of the rear 150#, trunk 46# and full tank of fuel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow up...

First.. Thanks for all of the input from the "Collective".

I took this thread back to the Tire Store and offered to pay them for the 4 Wheel alignment that had completed. Over the last 48 hours, they had done the reseach also and determined that they were unaware of the weighting needed in the car to complete the reading.

They are ordering weights now so they can do this according to the specs that they now have.

Anyway... They refused to take the payment for the alignment, and thanked me for pointing out to them that they weren't total on top of the game for BMWs.

Nice guys...

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts