BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that my cam shaft sensors, banks 1 and 2 (apparently the ones on the exhaust side), need to be replaced. My extended (not BMW) warranty company is declining to cover the replacement based on an exclusion for "emission components". Does this seem right? It seems like the cam shaft sensors are important for several reasons, not just emission components. Do I have a leg to stand on if I try to fight this?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

:confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi LA M5,
rekon your warranty company are trying it on. Just about any engine elctrical component that goes faulty will subsequently cause an emissions related fault. The camshaft position sensors are essential for correct timing/running. If they go faulty the exact positions will not be registered and substitute values are employed, this will result in poor performance and efficiency. Ask them to explain how the sensors are connected to the emissions system??
Regards
Peter.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
if the cam sensors are considered emissions components, the BMW 8/80k warranty on emissions components should cover this (as it does oxygen sensors and MAFs)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
stever said:
if the cam sensors are considered emissions components, the BMW 8/80k warranty on emissions components should cover this (as it does oxygen sensors and MAFs)
Check out:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

The only components required to be covered to 8yr/80K by the Feds are the cat and the ECU (and OBD system if that's independent of the ECU.)

Still, unless there's a specific clause in the warranty excluding coverage for sensors or engine electronics, I'd think the warranty carrier is urinating into the wind.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
M500PMW said:
Hi LA M5,
rekon your warranty company are trying it on. Just about any engine elctrical component that goes faulty will subsequently cause an emissions related fault. The camshaft position sensors are essential for correct timing/running. If they go faulty the exact positions will not be registered and substitute values are employed, this will result in poor performance and efficiency. Ask them to explain how the sensors are connected to the emissions system??
Regards
Peter.
I agree. And note just because you have a bad CPS does not mean your car is necessarily out of emissions compliance. I bet the CPS is not included in the emissions systems on the dealers parts sections lookups. Most states construe any ambiguity in an insurance policy against the insurance company. If one portion seems to cover it and one portion seems to exclude it (as opposed to a specific exclusion), it should be covered. Ask the company to show you specifically where the part is excluded.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts