1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I painted mine blue

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I would paint them black. Nice, clean, incogneto black. Why draw any more attention to those tiny, single-piston calipers by painting them with a bright color?

Now that I've said that ouich those blue ones on bootmiser's car actually look pretty darned good

WARNING: This debate could be hazardous to your wallet! I pondered the same question and ended up spending a whole lot of money on 4-wheel Brembos lovelove

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Did mine in silver.............

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Very simple procedure to do that provides a little bit of flair for the car. There are also a multitude of colors to chose from allowing every person to find what color they want to do.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I painted mine red three years ago. They have held up remarkably well. The only issue was when I changed the front pads. Because I had painted part of the front outside center pad as well there is now a very slight difference in the look front to back. I am probably the only who is going to notice this though.

I would reccommend the paint. Of course my color is Imola Red and the caliper paint went very well with the car. Be very careful to fully clean the calipers before applying the paint. I did mine on the car.

Mark

·
10,445 Posts
Isn't there a little ///M on the caliper too, recessed, so if you really wanted to go all out, you could fill in the M flag and the M.
Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
I personally would powder coat the calipers black, rather than painting them so they will last much longer. You could even have ///M put on the caliper by an airbrush guy or something... :noSMG:

mottati said:
Isn't there a little ///M on the caliper too, recessed, so if you really wanted to go all out, you could fill in the M flag and the M.
Mike

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I agree, It looks a bit cheap painting them with "normal" paint.

Powder coating is simply awsome. I myself thought of painting them, but in that case I would powder coat. In red or black....

:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
I agree, It looks a bit cheap painting them with "normal" paint.

Powder coating is simply awsome. I myself thought of painting them, but in that case I would powder coat. In red or black....

:M5thumbs:
I do not think there will be any difference in apperance between painting and powder coating. Powder coating might have a small advantage in durability, but so long as you follow the instructions with the paint kits for use on the calipers you will not be disappointed.

I agree you would not want to use "normal" paint on the calipers. You certainly want to use high temperature paint made for this type of application.

Mark

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Anyhow, I'm convinced Powder Coating looks better. You don't think Porsche paints their calipers with just high temperature caliper paint? It's powder coated for sure.

You get that solid look, with a nice dept. And the "caliper paint" will always show small bumps in the metal, while the Powder coating will give it that extra smooth feel. :blabla:

·
10,445 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
You get that solid look, with a nice dept. And the "caliper paint" will always show small bumps in the metal, while the Powder coating will give it that extra smooth feel. :blabla:
Will powdercoating the rough, cast calipers give them that smooth look of the aftermarket calipers? or are the aftermarket ones smoother to begin with.
Mike

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Powdercoating will give a better finsih, ala Brembo, etc. But remember that to powdercoat you need to break down the caliper, remove all the seals and pistons, etc. It is quite a bit of work and there is always the chance that you crack a seal and cause braking issues. For a quick fix, painting is much easier IMHO.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would paint them black. Nice, clean, incogneto black. Why draw any more attention to those tiny, single-piston calipers by painting them with a bright color?
It crossed my mind, too, but I decided against it for exactly that reason.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
The finish on the calipers is a little rough in places. I found that painting them actually smoothed this out a bit. Once painted, the calipers were certianly easier to clean. Of course if you have aftermarket wheels with narrow spokes, it makes it much easier to get to the calipers in the first place, ie. ACH Type II or III wheels.

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts