BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Brothers, My E60 M5 has occurred a un-stable idle speed especially on cold start.*Engine 100% cool down after last running*
The phenomenon is that engine starts from 700rpm idle speed once pushed the start buttom. Then idle speed raised up to 1,150-1,200rpm.*I guest idle speed sensor was raise the rpm to ensure the engine temperature up to the standard working level.*

After that, the strange thing was happened at the moment once idle speed slow down from 1,200rpm to 850-900rpm.
My engine is just like to catch a cold and breath not very well. Engine vibration is very obviously and easily can be felt while you seat on cockpit. The vibration needs to take 2-4 minutes to return back as engine temperature is on working level.

My first evaluation is on going in my friend's garage. But I'm not sure the way is on right track.
We did the nozzle cleaning/replace a broken vacuum tube/replace the 10 sparking plugs.
But the result is still faraway from the normal status.:crying2:

May I get all your experience to see what is the possible problems I met?

Here is my M5 background.

2005/10
Odometer: 28000 miles
No others engine tunning.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
How long have you owned it?

Mine has erratic idle EVERY time I start it cold. The level of idle variation depends on the ambient temperature. Now that the temps are in the 40s,30s,20s the idle is very rough the 1st minute or two. When the temps are above 60 it's hard to tell that the idle is erratic. My friend's M5 does almost the same thing. It's just that the noises that emanate from his car are slightly different.

p.s. I had the dealer check the car, they said, it's normal operation for this engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi 335xi,

Thanks for your sharing. I spent some time to read several article from this board. I'm really afraid that idle actuator problem casued this issue. Because I have another M5 to be a comparison car which parked aside by mine.
I will go back to dealer side to check all engine setting to see if they could found any problem.

Anyway, thanks for your info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts