BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been finding it impossible to find non-dealer marketed extended warranties in California...

Seems that CA has restricted companies- requiring them to have adequate resources to cover claims, etc.

Anybody know of companies that have successfully passed CA requirements and are issuing extended warranties FOR THE M5 in California?

Ard

·
Registered
208 Posts
ard said:
I've been finding it impossible to find non-dealer marketed extended warranties in California...

Seems that CA has restricted companies- requiring them to have adequate resources to cover claims, etc.

Anybody know of companies that have successfully passed CA requirements and are issuing extended warranties FOR THE M5 in California?

Ard
Ard,
Try 1sourceautowarranty.com i'm not sure if they cover California but i was very surprised when they told me they cover Canada (very few US companies cover Canada).
Good luck.
Cheers,

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agonized over this issue for six months, and after all my research, ended up buying a warranty backed by CNA (the insurance company) from David Kim, Finance Manager,at Santa Barbara Auto Group (formerly Cutter Motors). Give him a call at 805 682 2000. It cost about $4K, but is an exclusionary policy backed by a established company and sold by a BMW dealer. David says their service is excellent. It comes in all flavors in terms of how many years and how many miles, so you can make that choice too. I figured that although $4K is alot, one engine problem could cost that, and on my 540/6, I made all my money back a number of times over on the extended warranty, although that one only cost $1,300....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ard:

You are correct. CA has enacted legislation to prevent companies from selling policies if they are 'self insured'. At the end of last year I bought a policy from 1SourceAutoWarranty but they are now restricted from selling in CA. I discussed this with them lately during a claim. CA is a very large market for them and they are attempting to arrange to be underwritten by a larger insurance company for their business in CA so that they can again sell policies here.

1Source has now covered about $1000 in repairs (two CPS, one VANOS valve) which is almost 1/2 of the cost of the warranty. I still have 65K miles left on the warranty so I think I'm going to come out ahead. I had to make a case for the VANOS valve 'cause they wanted to claim it was part of the 'emmisions system' (sheesh!). The specific emmissions coverage is inclusionary as opposed the the rest of the much better worded exclusionary policy, hence they thought they had some wiggle room. But ultimately they succumed to the logic that the valve train could not be construed as part of the emmisions system.

Rich

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get the sense that it is helpful to get a warranty that my local dealer(s) use regularly (or that they sell). I strange third party might be more hassle for me.... I'll check with Cutter (actually the dealer that sold my car (to be) to the original owner)

I've got a quote for getting a cpo from a dealer at $1295 plus $500 for the inspection and transaction paperwork. Trying to weigh that versus 3800-4100 for third party stuff. prolly go with the cpo warranty- pretty cost effective

1 - 5 of 5 Posts