BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
California DMV REQUIRES that you get a smog certificate in California to register the car.

After gathering up everyting they wanted me to bring in (I had been there once to find out what they needed) on my new, unregistered M5 that I picked up in Chicago and drove back, they get to the end and say "And now we want your smog cert". Even after calling over and arguing with a supervisor over the fact that the car is new and is 50 state legal, they said too bad.

So, just so everyone knows...if you are bringing in your car to California and it is new or used you need to have a smog certificate along with it. Either from the dealer or one you get on your own..
http://bmw_roadtrip2000.tripod.com/roadtrip/

(above is website on my 2,345 mile trip driving the car home from Chicago to San Diego)

Larry

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Larry,

I had the same experience; got the car from Missouri and had it shipped to California with a total of 37 miles on the odometer and had to have it smogged! The local BMW dealer thought I was insane asking to have the thing smogged.

John

·
Registered
286 Posts
Larry and/or John -- What sort of title did your selling dealer give you? Did the DMV give you any other paperwork grief besides the smog certificate?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Guy:
Larry and/or John -- What sort of title did your selling dealer give you? Did the DMV give you any other paperwork grief besides the smog certificate?
The dealer gives you the bill of sale, the Certificate of Origin (ultra important), and a temp. drive away registration.

My dealer was cool and gave me two of the temp registrations each one good for 10 days which gave me plenty of time to get it registered in California.

The DMW wants your bill of sale, cert. of origin, and the smog cert. Good idea to have proof of insurance on hand as well. Before you go in have your car inspected at the DMV (usually right next to where they do the driving tests around the back or side)to verify the VIN number and that the car is California Legal (has a sticker under the front hood).

Thats it. Pretty easy if you have everything. If you get your car smogged, they can send the cert over electronically to the DMV for you and give you the print out as well.

Good luck!

Larry

·
Registered
412 Posts
Guy,

My experience in Santa Rosa was ditto exactly what Larry described except they made me do half of the paper work first, then have it inspected before finishing the paper work and paying THE TAXES.

John

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ahh yes, the taxes. Lux tax paid to the dealer? Sales and registration fee to the DMV? Or all to DMV?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luxury tax to the dealer. Sales tax to the DMV. Sales tax paid on the amount before the Lux. tax is added on.

Larry

·
Registered
412 Posts
In my situation the luxury tax was paid to the dealer, the registration and state sales tax(7.5% in my county) was paid to the DMV. If you did pay any sales tax in another state, the DMV will charge you the difference between the sales tax in your county and what you paid out of state.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts