BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a California resident that owns a DINAN S3 Beast on the board? If so, please PM me. I have a few questions and clarifications on the set-up before purchase. Thanks. :byebye:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Curt, if I recall correctly Fast5's S3 was sold to a guy in CA and he has an E60 M5 as well. Maybe worth digging the For Sale section...

Is there a California resident that owns a DINAN S3 Beast on the board? If so, please PM me. I have a few questions and clarifications on the set-up before purchase. Thanks. :byebye:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You buy an S3 or build an S3,mate?:eek:h::eek:h:
Thinking about upgrading to an S3 (at least pretty close to an actual S3). Worried about CARB (California Air Resources Board) issues.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Member DRM used to be active on here. He owns a Chiaretto S3 and lives in CA. Maybe try PM?

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Firehire - PMed

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Curt, message Ray. (Kelster) He just went through emissions in NY with his S3. I am sure he can provide SOME information......

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

ard said:
What CARB issues? Dinan S3 is carb certified/listed.
According to the Dinan site, it is no longer CARB certified.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What CARB issues? Dinan S3 is carb certified/listed.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Apparently it isn't.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Curt, message Ray. (Kelster) He just went through emissions in NY with his S3. I am sure he can provide SOME information......
Thanks Tim. We have been PM'ing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
u looking for E60 S3? pm me i live in san jose.
jp

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
S3

Just bought Fast 5's S3 and it passed emissions. I will PM you.
Mike

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

According to the Dinan site, it is no longer CARB certified.
You are absolutely correct. Click on Dinan Cars - Supercharger System and then choose the Specs tab. Emission Status is where it says:
Racing Only. This product is not legal for sale or use in California on any pollution controlled motor vehicles.
I can't say for certain that it always was that way, but the Dinan Technical group has always been helpful/supportive in getting my S3 and others through emission testing at NY and CA DMV.

Cliff Notes Version: The problem with the S3 DME is that it has too many lines of code and the DMV emission testing devices are unable to read it. The Dinan solution is to clone your software onto another DME, strip out certain extraneous lines of code until the unit becomes readable. Then it gets swapped into your car. You then take the M5 through the drive cycle and if it doesn't throw a code, you then pass inspection and can reinstall your original DME.

I've been doing this annually to pass inspection in New York since 2007. I've just purchased another DME which will be modified by Dinan so I will no longer have to borrow their DME.

--Ray

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
You are absolutely correct. Click on Dinan Cars - Supercharger System and then choose the Specs tab. Emission Status is where it says:
I can't say for certain that it always was that way, but the Dinan Technical group has always been helpful/supportive in getting my S3 and others through emission testing at NY and CA DMV.

Cliff Notes Version: The problem with the S3 DME is that it has too many lines of code and the DMV emission testing devices are unable to read it. The Dinan solution is to clone your software onto another DME, strip out certain extraneous lines of code until the unit becomes readable. Then it gets swapped into your car. You then take the M5 through the drive cycle and if it doesn't throw a code, you then pass inspection and can reinstall your original DME.

I've been doing this annually to pass inspection in New York since 2007. I've just purchased another DME which will be modified by Dinan so I will no longer have to borrow their DME.

--Ray
Thanks for the information, Ray. Perhaps you can PM me the answer to this if you'd like. I'm not sure if it's the same in NY but CA also has a visual inspection that is a requirement to pass. If Dinan [currently] has not registered the product as a CARB E.O. passing product, with respective CARB E.O.#, how does it pass the visual under these circumstances?

PS: Just for for the record, not trying to elude CA smog. If it's as simple as it "will not pass visual inspection," then that's all I need to know.

Reactions: ard

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Thanks for the information, Ray. Perhaps you can PM me the answer to this if you'd like. I'm not sure if it's the same in NY but CA also has a visual inspection that is a requirement to pass. If Dinan [currently] has not registered the product as a CARB E.O. passing product, with respective CARB E.O.#, how does it pass the visual under these circumstances?

PS: Just for for the record, not trying to elude CA smog. If it's as simple as it "will not pass visual inspection," then that's all I need to know.
I just take my S3 to a certain BMW/Dinan dealer who is also licensed to do DMV emission testing and it's not a problem other than having to jump through hoops swapping DMEs. I believe the NY law is very similar to the CA law, but the 'visual inspection' aspect hasn't been a problem. How does ESS address this issue?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I just take my S3 to a certain BMW/Dinan dealer who is also licensed to do DMV emission testing and it's not a problem other than having to jump through hoops swapping DMEs. I believe the NY law is very similar to the CA law, but the 'visual inspection' aspect hasn't been a problem. How does ESS address this issue?
ESS doesn't address them, it's all up the responsibility of the owners. ESS owners either remove the kit (although I don't think anyone in CA has) or find other unspoken ways/methods...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts