BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after purchasing the car it threw the SAI code and my pump was louder than the car so I went ahead and replaced it. Light went away once I started the car. Next morning driving to the smog shop it threw another code. This time fuel purge valve, fine replaced that as well...now I'm getting the SAI P0411 again. I looked into the powerchip options and evolve tunes etc. So from what I understand these tuning options just change it so that the SAI remains in not ready? Cause if this is the case this is not a long term solution. I asked my smog tech and he told me next year California smog nazis will be making EVAP the only system you can have a not ready on, everything else has to be ready or you fail.

Help:sad1:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am having similar problems...it's all pointing towards carbon build up in bank 2 for me. I am going to have a local shop try to clear out the carbon (in both heads) and will report back afterwards. Fortunately for me, I can fix the evap issue and get 6/7 on the I/M readiness scan and not worry about the SAP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I passed smog with SAI being not ready. But by the next time I need to smog this will no longer allow me to pass. My car is way below all the maximums for the smog test...just this stupid SAI system may force me to either take the heads apart or look for a software solution. From my searches on the board it seems that Powerchip will make the SAI show not ready...is evolve software and others going to have the same results?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only thing I know about powerchip is that they are banned here and have supposedly ripped people off. I have purchased the evolve tune but won't be able to flash my DME until next week...I will be able to clear the SAP code, but will have to solve my evap code in order to achieve 6/7 as required on the I/M readiness scan for emissions (TX).

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Contact the company and ask that question directly. Not for public discussion. I would first check on the info that has you all worked up. I think the person that explained this to you does not completely understand. SAI should have the same lenience as the EVAP system. He maybe correct but it is not what I have been reading.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Currently it is the same for EVAP and SAI, he said next year they are changing the regulations regarding smog in California. So that is why I am looking for a long term solution or I need to plan to remove the heads or something in the next year.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Don't pull the head that is just a waste of money. You realize that if the car reports anything other than not ready after an adjustment it would be illegal. Do you think any company is going to publicly tell you that it is reported as "not applicable" on a public forum.
Make a direct request for information on your car to the govt entity responsible. They will explain the changes and requirements. Currently you are allowed one not ready the future is one not ready also. There is a few differences because you can't have one of the O2 sensors tests not ready, but that means nothing anyway because if they are not ready you will also have other things not ready. That would make 2 not readies. Get the correct info from the gov first.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'd like to see some supporting documentation for this. Everything I've read is old, and it's awfully quiet for something supposedly being enacted in 6 months. On a forum I hit on a google search on my phone (try AB2289, you get nothing current) a smog tech reported that it had been shelved.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
I just did a quick search and can't find anything after the first release, nothing new. Nothing that it has been shelved though? I will post that question in my OBD forum and see what responses I get. I am pretty sure that there is nothing new because it was well planned and nothing has changed so ... nothing new. Looks like it happens jan 1.
I don't think they are releasing a lot of info because it is sort of a ban on anything but stock. There are rumors that they will be trying to put some serious hurt on the modifying companies. They may not want to release all the info. The law was passed so .....

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I just did a quick search and can't find anything after the first release, nothing new. Nothing that it has been shelved though? I will post that question in my OBD forum and see what responses I get. I am pretty sure that there is nothing new because it was well planned and nothing has changed so ... nothing new. Looks like it happens jan 1.
I don't think they are releasing a lot of info because it is sort of a ban on anything but stock. There are rumors that they will be trying to put some serious hurt on the modifying companies. They may not want to release all the info. The law was passed so .....
It may have passed but it requires a completely new infrastructure as well as new equipment for any smog shop who wants to continue doing business. Considering the cost of doing the "upgrade" you'd think there would be some angry rants somewhere.

Post #12 in this thread: CA SMOG rules and AB 2289 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Cali rules are not my thing I just know them from other emission stuff. A new infrastructure and why upgrades? All it appears is that they are dumping the pipe testing for some? They have always done the other tests... or am I missing something. They do the full OBDII and tailpipe. Full OBDII being DME interrogation visual and functionality test.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Bumping this thread because I talked to my smog guy today when I got the M5 done. I asked him about the new upcoming smog changes and he said the only thing he's ever heard about it has been from other customers. He said as far as he's heard officially there are no upcoming changes and it's business as usual. Considering we're less than 3 months from the supposed transition I'll be shocked if it comes to pass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts