BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched past posts have learned much about all three of the above mentioned but, I have not been able to discern which one is the best, or which one is most preferred. Basically I see that Dinan shows a 5 hp and 4ft/lb increase while AA claims a 25 hp and 39 ft/lb gain and I was unable to find any numbers for the gruppe, so first off the dinan CAI is twice the price of the AA CAI but the numbers for the AA CAI seem a little high so I am skeptical of both, So I was wondering of all of you who own these products which one would you reccomend and would you repurchase your current CAI if you had to do it all over again or would oyu try something different? Thanks Josh

P.S. Seeing Robs car has given me the bug, must spend money, must modify

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm partial to the GruppeM in conjunction w/ the AA tubing. To me that would be the best combination. I find the Dinan ones sit too low int he bumper and are more suceptible to water injestion.

Now for the sake of the car I would recommend none. Providing more cold air to the stock boxes I would do using the AA tubing but I would leave the factory paper filter in place. Replacement filters, while allowing more air in also have a greater chance of allowing engine damaging particles in as well. If you feel the need to gain 6whp and risk a $25K engine go for it.

It would be cool if an independant testing company would run a factory filter behind a K&N in a mild dust situation to see what the K&N couldn't capture and the factory one could.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greco said:
I'm partial to the GruppeM in conjunction w/ the AA tubing. To me that would be the best combination. I find the Dinan ones sit too low int he bumper and are more suceptible to water injestion.

Now for the sake of the car I would recommend none. Providing more cold air to the stock boxes I would do using the AA tubing but I would leave the factory paper filter in place. Replacement filters, while allowing more air in also have a greater chance of allowing engine damaging particles in as well. If you feel the need to gain 6whp and risk a $25K engine go for it.

It would be cool if an independant testing company would run a factory filter behind a K&N in a mild dust situation to see what the K&N couldn't capture and the factory one could.
Thanks for the advice, you make some good points, Josh

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I have had the AA CAI for some 35k miles with the K&N filters in place. I have not had to clean the MAF's and I have not had an issue with water injection. I have been through quit a bit of water on the roads here in Houston with no negative effects. I did notice the difference once the installation was complete. You will never measure the difference on a dyno though. You really do need the increased airflow at speed to experience the difference that a CAI will make.

Mark

·
Registered
136 Posts
Greco said:
I've seen many tests (not two filters at once as you suggest) that makes me want to stay away from K&N, and other tests that say they are safe. some say K&N lets in alot more debris. i've heard it may flow more at first, but then performance quickly degrades to less than paper filters.

i never know if i oil them properly and tend to buy new ones instead of reusing (back when i was using K&N).

but i'm sure this debate can go on like the oil weight debate.

James

·
Banned
300 Posts
K&N filters are safe now that we know how to clean the MAF's .........

I've driven an M5 with the Dinan CAI and the sound and extra power is nice....But I am leaning on the AA or HD intake since the RAM air effect will produce more HP.....

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have the gruppe M with AA grille. It's been on for 20k miles. I took the filters off at the weekend to change the indicators to chrome bulbs and the inside was absolutely spotless with zero dust, the Gruppe M uses K&N filters :M5launch:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I use the AA CAI. It looks awesome. I had the egg rings polished.

But I was too chicken to use the K & N's.

So I run the AA with the Stock paper filters.

All the tests I saw said, That a NEW PAPER filter will flow equally as good as a K & N.

But as the PAPER filter gets older it does not flow as well.

Whereas the K & N filters better as it gets dirty.

Therefore, for Great flow and Zero risk, I just change the Paper Filters a little more regularly. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I am also running a similari system to the AA intake with new tubing into the stock filter housing and filters. There is definately an improvement in pulling power, especially at higher speeds and I have yet to have any water ingestion issues in about 10k miles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you like eye candy, that is all these intakes are good for. The power gains they claim you cannot feel, you will get a cool sound from the engine which will in turn have your brain thinking a huge difference. I dont see how making such minimal HP gains on a 400HP car you will truly feel the difference.

What is my experience? I have only had the Gruppe M, i removed it since during So Cal hot weather there is heat soak. I believe they led to a premature MAF failure, BUT i purchased this car used and at the time i put intake on it was around 60K miles which is around the time MAF's are getting changed anyways, so this is only an assumption and is my feeling but not a fact i can prove.

DINAN, there is a member on here that went through a heavy puddle of some sort. Well $25K later, and a new engine he still loves his Dinan CAI on his car. I do feel the DINAN is a nice piece but your are paying close to $500 for 1HP.

The 30HP gain is totally ridiculous claim. If that was true everyone on here would be installing that mod. along with the Tornado "as seen on TV"

Now I just run stock with OE filters which is safest and already well engineered. For a bit more you can get save to get the SS header which will give you your 30HP bolt on gain you want.

·
Registered
368 Posts
In my experience the only benefit from CAI is in the Looks / Sound department and unless anyone can show a dyno sheet to prove otherwise i'm with Gorilla Beast.

However it doesn't mean the mod isn't worth it.
Anything that increases your enjoyment of your car can be worth it.. And you're the only one who can judge that.

Also i believe in balanced modification, if i change the Exhaust i'd change the Air Filter and then have it remapped to take advantage of it. A dyno before and after will be done to prove any gains.. (this is actually what i am doing as we speak.. i have the before dyno chart and the after one will come during the chipping process!) and if there's no gains in BHP but the car sounds much better and seems to pull better then i'll be only mildly disappointed.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
dmc said:
In my experience the only benefit from CAI is in the Looks / Sound department and unless anyone can show a dyno sheet to prove otherwise i'm with Gorilla Beast.

Cheers
Dave
Ummmm, The AA CAI actually opens up the brake ducts, so therefore is actually functional as brake cooling as well. :hihi:

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I think everyone will agree that you will not see any gain on the dyno with a CAI. That being said, the real benefit does not occur standing still with a fan on the car, I don't care how big the fan is. Then again, who cares what the effect standing still is.

We are all looking for improvements in the "moving" department. The AA CAI along with the Powerchip upgrade was a definative improvement for me. Yes, I have a Tubi exhaust, but I believe I am still somewhat restricted without headers. Besides, the sound from the Tubi makes me faster :eek: . Well, perhaps it just sounds faster!

Yes, I think for the money the headers are the way to go in better output, but the CAI and Powerchip along with the Tubi would make a more complete package front to back.

Mark

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Simple advice!

Get the AA RAM Intake pipes and grill! Then try to get the K&N cone filter that the GruppeM uses and install that inside your factory airbox!

Couple that with a Powerchip Software and the result are awsum!

Reason?

Because AA Intakes gives you the RAM effect, which means the faster you go, the more your car pulls! Also, the GruppeM carbon kevlar shields dont fit properly and tend to let in hot air and dust from the surrounding areas of the engine compartment! Therefore by using just the cone filters inside your factory airbox, alongwith the direct access of the AA RAM intakes, you have a perfect flawless air intake system!

·
Registered
511 Posts
dmc said:

Cheers
Dave
Not that it is relevant but on my 540 I gained almost 7 whp and a full 9 lb/ft to the wheels by going the GruppeM route. I also have dyno plot to show it. As more cold air gets pushed through the intake tract the gains can only be more..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Or just get the drop in K&N rectangular filter that fits perfectly in the factory box.

Ahmed said:
Simple advice!

Get the AA RAM Intake pipes and grill! Then try to get the K&N cone filter that the GruppeM uses and install that inside your factory airbox!

Couple that with a Powerchip Software and the result are awsum!

Reason?

Because AA Intakes gives you the RAM effect, which means the faster you go, the more your car pulls! Also, the GruppeM carbon kevlar shields dont fit properly and tend to let in hot air and dust from the surrounding areas of the engine compartment! Therefore by using just the cone filters inside your factory airbox, alongwith the direct access of the AA RAM intakes, you have a perfect flawless air intake system!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all for the advice, I think now I am leaning towards the AA, possibly just getting the grill and air ducts, so that way I can get the benefit of the brake cooling as well as the look of the ram air ports/ openings on the front grill, Thanks guys I appreciate the help, I will think about it today and let you know what I get, will probably order with beast power tonight, thanks guys, Josh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.