BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys wanting to know the pro's and con's to removing Cadillac converter from e39 m5. One of my buddies claims you get better gas mileage if its removed. Will there be any power gains as well?

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Hey guys wanting to know the pro's and con's to removing Cadillac converter from e39 m5. One of my buddies claims you get better gas mileage if its removed. Will there be any power gains as well?
Well, it will ride a lot firmer and corner a lot better without it!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
It won't be near as heavy.

Reactions: lugnuts

·
Registered
663 Posts
When I was 8 years old I really thought they were Cadillac Converters. Thanks for the laugh haha

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dont know the answer to your question and if all the comedians do they arent saying!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
The only car I ever de-catted was an old Peugeot 106 16V I used for track days a few years ago. The difference was pretty amazing. Whilst I don't think it yielded much if any gains in BHP, the car revved more freely and was much sharper on the throttle. Superb mod.

On our cars, I'm not sure it makes such a difference with the rest of the exhaust system at stock. From what I've read on here over the last few years it seems to be generally accepted that the stock exhaust/cats is a pretty good system from the downpipe back, if a little quiet hence the resonator/muffler mods. The most limiting aspect of the system is the exhaust manifold, which was pinched from the 540. Whether you'd notice any real increase without changing the manifold, I wouldn't like to say.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
On our cars, I'm not sure it makes such a difference with the rest of the exhaust system at stock. From what I've read on here over the last few years it seems to be generally accepted that the stock exhaust/cats is a pretty good system from the downpipe back, if a little quiet hence the resonator/muffler mods. The most limiting aspect of the system is the exhaust manifold, which was pinched from the 540. Whether you'd notice any real increase without changing the manifold, I wouldn't like to say.
Sadly, someone finally gave you the answer.

Aside from the abject stupidity and social irresponsibility of decatting the E39M5, there is nothing much to be gained. Well, besides a permanent CEL.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sadly, someone finally gave you the answer.

Aside from the abject stupidity and social irresponsibility of decatting the E39M5, there is nothing much to be gained. Well, besides a permanent CEL.

For the most part I like social irresponsibility...not the stupidity so much...and one of the many previous owners of my car somehow disabled my CEL....if it wasnt fo the stupidiy part i might be down for it....:eek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL i didn't really look over my post until now HAHAHA. And Yes that damn auto-correct sucks. It can make a mess of things or make one look silly. All Jokes aside, have anyone done it to their E39 M5 and if so pro's and con's please! Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
LOL i didn't really look over my post until now HAHAHA. And Yes that damn auto-correct sucks. It can make a mess of things or make one look silly. All Jokes aside, have anyone done it to their E39 M5 and if so pro's and con's please! Thanks Guys!
Your question has already been answered. It's TERRIBLE for the environment. You won't get any performance gains. You'll have a permanent check engine light. Don't do it.

Reactions: AGM5
1 - 20 of 33 Posts