BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

I tried to search this but had no luck.

If you could re direct me that would be awesome.

*When I turn on the AC or Fan there is a smell. Not a burnt smell, but smells like the filters need replacement.

I have searched parts.com and getbmwparts.com.

I am confused on which one to purchase.

Am I looking to get the air filter OR the Cabin Air Filter with activated Carbons?

There is a big difference in price, but I want to get the right one =)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Carbon activated are better as they absorb some chemicals rather than just filtering particles.

You don't have to get the genuine ones, carbon cabin filters from any manufacturer at your local motor factors will work just the same.

Make sure you get two, there's one per side. Notice that the airflow through the filters is upwards so install with arrow pointing up. Also take care when refitting the filter housing cover, make sure it goes back into position before closing the bonnet (hood), I've seen a few broken plastic tabs because some can't be bothered!
HTH.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I picked up P/N 64 11 9 070 073 at BavAuto for a little more than $30 (no tax New Hampshire!) and it comes as a pair. Put them right on in the parking lot. I think Purolator makes a filter also.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Carbon activated are better as they absorb some chemicals rather than just filtering particles.

You don't have to get the genuine ones, carbon cabin filters from any manufacturer at your local motor factors will work just the same.

Make sure you get two, there's one per side. Notice that the airflow through the filters is upwards so install with arrow pointing up. Also take care when refitting the filter housing cover, make sure it goes back into position before closing the bonnet (hood), I've seen a few broken plastic tabs because some can't be bothered!
HTH.
Having done mine a week or so ago, it seems that must be what's happened to mine at some stage. The covers on top of the filters are cracked. Untidy. Mine were UFI and came as a pair in a box, so I now have a spare pair for 6 months time...d'oh.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you have a smell from your A/C, the reason is not in the filters.
You need to do antiseptic job to your A/C evaporator.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Another reason why M5Board is so awesome.

THanks to all of you for your wisdom and suggestion.

I think I will take a local trip down to OReily's and maybe even look for that Mothers polish ball to clean my new Timmays pipes :biggrinbounce:

Now...about that Aniseptic job on the AC Evaporator...

Time to SEARCH!!!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Have a look for this, not meant to be sold to the public, but one can obtain such a product on the ebay...

Forté Lubricants

Used it on my previous car and it's what garages use to charge you £30 for an 'air-con refresh'. Good stuff, anti-bac and smells nice.

Edit - Doesn't spray easily with the can at an angle, on my old car, it had to be nearly upside down to get it into the air collector, but I think on E39, it would be a bit easier to get it spraying at a reasonable angle, the collector is a bit bigger and I think the whole can could go in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice!!!

Forte Air Intake Cleaner...?

Has anybody used it and will it give me enough horsepower to beat a E55 AMG...?

J/k, no really...has anybody used it and what were the results =)

Feeblebob, thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you have a smell from your A/C, the reason is not in the filters.
You need to do antiseptic job to your A/C evaporator.
Not necessarily true.
I had a musky jungle smell coming from my AC when I would first turn it on.
New filters removed the smell and it never came back.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I just purchased the Purolator C35509C BreatheEASY Cabin Air Filter for $21.99 at Pep Boys.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I got these:
Amazon.com: Mann-Filter CUK 2736-2 Cabin Filter With Activated Charcoal for select BMW models -Set of 2: Automotive

They don't look exactly same as the old ones (no plastic frame) but no complaints so far
They have changed these filters. Very disappointing as I've been using Mann 2736-2 filters for years. They reduced the number of pleats and the filter frame is slightly larger so it no longer fits in the air box without distortion.

I posted a review to Amazon. Just thought I'd follow-up on the board as well.

The old Mann filter is on the left and the newly purchased filter is installed on the right. Notice the poor fit.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Still using Purolator's offering with no complaints.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts