BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the correct part number for the plastic trim clips that secure the upper C panel? There are two on each side, in addition to two body screws, which secure the trim piece to the pillar.

The part number on realOEM (#5) - 51438189311 - appears to be incorrect. That number is for the one-piece door trim clips found on the E39 and various other BMWs. This trim clip should be two pieces; one is the black plastic "socket" that goes into the car body, and one is the beige plastic pin that slots into the trim piece.

This thread was pondering the exact same question but no resolution was ever posted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Part #12 is what you would want.

This is my guess. Given #11 is a socket, it has to attach to the cars frame, and thus needs a molded plastic body big enough to latch onto the cars metal AND have a hole for #12 to fit into.

I suspect #5 is an updated part which replaces both #11 & #12 and acts as both the body attaching clip and Pillar attachment clip. This may explain why the head is much bigger.

Or as Qsilver stated, it is a pre-inserted 2 piece clip sold together.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect #5 is an updated part which replaces both #11 & #12 and acts as both the body attaching clip and Pillar attachment clip. This may explain why the head is much bigger.
This has got to be what's going on here. Indeed, after removing the "socket" part from the hole in the unibody, clip p/n 51438189311 does snap into the hole just fine (and also attaches to the C pillar trim piece perfectly, like the old clip). Thanks - hope this helps somebody else out in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts