BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new owner of my beloved 99 M3 picked her up today - very sad day for me - what an awesome sweetie of a car! I drove her about 15k virtually flawless miles and grew to love her more with every drive. I can't say enough about this car.

But alas, you will notice my new and beautiful M5, which I could not be happier with. So far the M5 promises to reward with me with just as rich (possibly even more so) an ownership experience.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, 1999 was the last year of the e36 M3.

beetlem5 said:
there was a 99 M3? was that an e36?

BTW welcome to the M5 club :D

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Yahoo!!!! :flag: :1: Congrats!!! The Imola was my second pic!! The car looks great! Now get out and drive!! :flag: :wroom:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Very nice man

Enjoy the new ride :)

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
:cheers: :cheers:

Enjoy the Red Beast.

·
Registered
48 Posts
nice red beast there. How did you find the steering on the M5 compare to your M3? i came from the E46 M3 and like the beast better, enjoy! :byee55amg

·
Registered
512 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hey Steve-O

Nice to see pictures up, even though we have met in person.

If you start modifing let me know and I will be there to help!

T

·
Registered
661 Posts
I used to own a '98 M3 Sedan and I have to say that the steering feel of the E36 M3 is 10x better than the E39 M5. I think the steering feel is one of the biggest weakness of our cars... after the weak *** clutch of course :D

dens said:
nice red beast there. How did you find the steering on the M5 compare to your M3? i came from the E46 M3 and like the beast better, enjoy! :byee55amg

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Regarding a comparison between "steering", and handling between the e36 M3 and the E39 M5, I will have to be honest with you, I never tracked or autocrossed the M3 (and certainly haven't the M5 yet), so I do not have this frame of reference. However, for street driving I love both cars, and I probably enjoy the M5 more because of it's sheer pleasure affect.

If I had tracked the M3 more, I would probably have enjoyed the M3 immensely on the track, but that is not really my taste, at least for my stage of life at the moment (track expenses, suspension mods et al). On the street, the M3 is very light on it's feet and nimble - I told my friends it was "the BMW point and shoot". I felt like I could move around more athletically than other cars - everyone else seemed so awkward compared to the abilities of the M3. Well, the M5 on the other hand has as much and more usable power as my 1970 Buick GS Stage I 455 had, but with much much better handling and build quality. The M5 feels extremely confident on the street too, but is not quite as agile as the M3, but what it lacks in agility it makes up for in what I technically refer to as "pure whoop ***".

dens said:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congrats on the new beast, she's a beauty! Very good find on a rare color, enjoy her to the fullest!

:cheers:

Sean

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Tim, thanks! Mods will be modest at best for me. I wd like to add a SSK at some point - everyone seems to love this enhancement. Right now I would like to try a couple simple cosmetics changes - maybe black kidneys, painted calipers perhaps, maybe painted trim pieces, I don't know - just looking for a few subtle things to individualize. I might try a different set of wheels too for the winter - like some M Parallels or something.

Tim W said:
Hey Steve-O

Nice to see pictures up, even though we have met in person.

If you start modifing let me know and I will be there to help!

T

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
sarends said:
I might try a different set of wheels too for the winter - like some M Parallels or something.
Welcome to the club... very nice color choice. She's a beauty. :M5thumbs:
I have the winter package but will unlikely use it to actually drive in the snow and road salt. With sadness I've seen how rust has taken hold in my year-round black beauty e34 540i and the cancer is starting to spread rather rapidly. Hate to see M5's suffer the same fate. I wonder how many board members who live in snow country actually drive their M5's in the snow?

Cheers,

·
Registered
189 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade!

Every time I see another Imola Red E39 M5 I start to drool and think about upgrading from my 91 E34 M5. Ahhh....ideally I would love to have both beasts in my stable though

Now more pics of your beauty! :byee55amg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts