BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent good part of the last half hour looking for an answer for what must be the most basic question.

My question is, when checking Engine oil, do you insert the dip stick all the way back down (past the rubber orings) or insert it back to the point it stops at the hard rubber orings?

I know it must sound basic and even silly but I found loads of threads ragrding checking oil but this part was not discussed.

Again, I apologize if thei is beyond basic, but I am being extra an*l regarding the oil level and of the two senarios above, the oil level could be off by up to a 1/4 of oil.

Thank you in advance for clearing this up (if you have some information)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

All the way back in.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

All the way back in.
THATS what she said..sorry couldn't help myself.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Surely it doesn't take a half hour to find this in your owners manual....There is the proper procedure written in there.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Surely it doesn't take a half hour to find this in your owners manual....There is the proper procedure written in there.

The "proper procedure" as well as many threads I found from 2005, 2006 and 2007 all emphasis on whether to warm teh car, let it idle or check cold. I did not see anything regarding the dipstick being inserted all the way back in..or I would not have asked a question.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Stick it in all the way.

To me, the most important thing is that you be consistent when checking the oil. If you check it warm and wait 2.6 minutes for the oil to drain back in the pan, then do it the exact same way every time. This way you can accurately determine if the car is burning oil, and how much.

And don't worry - if the oil gets too low, the sensor will detect the situation and warn you.

Assuming that the sensor is working.

And that the warning light is working.

Hey, it's a BMW, what could go wrong? ;)

And I wouldn't worry about 1/4 quart of oil difference anyway, but that's me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I just spent good part of the last half hour looking for an answer for what must be the most basic question.

My question is, when checking Engine oil, do you insert the dip stick all the way back down (past the rubber orings) or insert it back to the point it stops at the hard rubber orings?

I know it must sound basic and even silly but I found loads of threads ragrding checking oil but this part was not discussed.

Again, I apologize if thei is beyond basic, but I am being extra an*l regarding the oil level and of the two senarios above, the oil level could be off by up to a 1/4 of oil.

Thank you in advance for clearing this up (if you have some information)
All the way.
Check as per the manual. (I asked a similar type question!!!!)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stick it in all the way.

To me, the most important thing is that you be consistent when checking the oil. If you check it warm and wait 2.6 minutes for the oil to drain back in the pan, then do it the exact same way every time. This way you can accurately determine if the car is burning oil, and how much.

And don't worry - if the oil gets too low, the sensor will detect the situation and warn you.

Assuming that the sensor is working.

And that the warning light is working.

Hey, it's a BMW, what could go wrong? ;)

And I wouldn't worry about 1/4 quart of oil difference anyway, but that's me.
First Off, Congrats on your new purchase (saw the thread earlier).

And yes, you are right about being consistant. Being an Engineer by trade, I am very an*l regarding consistancies anyways.

One reason i asked is because I have put almost 2000 miles on the car and yet the oil level is the same.
I am not hard on the engine (but hard on tires/chassis) and may be that is why there has been almost no oil consumption.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Our car has a dipstick?? :eek:h: I've been dropping the oil pan and checking it there..

·
Registered
284 Posts
Lol, I tend to search the board and forget about looking in an official resource. Looks like the OP is the same way.

OP, I've attached a copy of the owners manual for model year 2002 in case you need one. From the manual:

Checking oil level
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface
2. Allow the engine to run at operating
temperature for at least 15 seconds
at idle, then shut it off
3. After approx. one minute, pull the
dipstick out and wipe it off with a
clean lint-free cloth, paper towel, or
similar material
4. Carefully push the dipstick all the
way into the guide tube
and pull it
out again
5. The oil level should be between the
two graduations on the dipstick.
As with fuel economy, oil consumption
is directly influenced by your driving
style and vehicle operating conditions

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, I tend to search the board and forget about looking in an official resource. Looks like the OP is the same way.

OP, I've attached a copy of the owners manual for model year 2002 in case you need one. From the manual:

Checking oil level
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface
2. Allow the engine to run at operating
temperature for at least 15 seconds
at idle, then shut it off
3. After approx. one minute, pull the
dipstick out and wipe it off with a
clean lint-free cloth, paper towel, or
similar material
4. Carefully push the dipstick all the
way into the guide tube and pull it
out again
5. The oil level should be between the
two graduations on the dipstick.
As with fuel economy, oil consumption
is directly influenced by your driving
style and vehicle operating conditions

Thank you for the link and I stand corrected. I did read the manual when I bought the car (cover to cover) but missed the clearly written direction.

You are right about searching the site, I search before i look in the glove box, bad habit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts