BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered my car in my color and with my choice of options and paid a sizeable deposit, all on the strength of looking at a locked car at a motor show and reading magazine tests.

Mind you, it isn't the first time I've done this. I bought a Mazda MX5 (Miata) without ever seeing one in the flesh, and a 540i having only driven lesser engines 5's. I'd certainly say yes to a drive in the new M5 if offered, but I'm also happy to drive it first when I pick it up.

Do others feel the same, or must you drive a car before you'll buy it?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
mhh said:
I've ordered my car in my color and with my choice of options and paid a sizeable deposit, all on the strength of looking at a locked car at a motor show and reading magazine tests.

Mind you, it isn't the first time I've done this. I bought a Mazda MX5 (Miata) without ever seeing one in the flesh, and a 540i having only driven lesser engines 5's. I'd certainly say yes to a drive in the new M5 if offered, but I'm also happy to drive it first when I pick it up.

Here in the US, I would venture to say that every single buyer will order without a test drive. Dealers do not get 'demo' M5's here!

·
Registered
248 Posts
mhh said:

In NYC they didn't offer test drives of the previous E39 M5. This was due to the 5 series being such a hit. The new 5 series has gotten mixed reviews. I would prefer to test drive before buying the new M5........This is a totaly different car than the E39....I hope we all get what we are expecting... Good luck.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I test drove the E39 before buying mine. My dealer in Brussels didn't have one so he arranged it with BMW Belgium HQ in Antwerp. If I really wanted to he could do the same with the E60 but I have enough faith in the car to take the risk. In any event, I could probably sell it for more than it cost me if I really didn't like it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Have bought my E39 M5, E46 M3, E46 M3 CSL all without test drives as it was either buy the car or not. None of them disappointed!! Looks like I will get the E60 M5 demo for the weekend before I have to confirm my car which will make a nice change.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I could not and would not buy a car before I test drove it. There have been a lot of cars that looked good on paper and got rave reviews, but once I drove them they were just not a car for me. Subaru WRX comes to mind, as I loved it till I drove it. Putting down that sum of money is something I would have a hard time doing unless I drove the car for more than the 2 mile test loop which is common with US dealers.
That being said, if there was the chance of making money on the car, I would buy it and then decide.
:cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I was lucky to get a test drive of both the E39 M5 and E52 Z8 before making the decision. However, I was ready to do both without the test drive. My thinking was if I dont like it, I will know in a few days and given the limited volume on the cars, I should be able to get my money back.

I think test drives are possible if you are a preferred customer and/ or are willing to wait a little bit. For example, many owners of dealerships are the #1 person on the list. If you are a preferred customer you may be able to get a test drive in the owner's car.

I think even though so much has changed on the E60, if you are in the first year and you take delivery and do not like the car, you should be able to get out at least close to break even, if not at a gain. I think the demand will be fairly high as the E39 M5 is such a wonderful vehicle. After that first year, well, by then you have most of the "gotta have its" satisfied and there will be more cars in the M5 class than before.

I would have no problem with taking the E60 M5 without a test drive if I were on the list for one. cherrsagai

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
In relation to Australia .. what happened to the RHD car that was at the Melbourne motor show? They could take it down to Sandown or Phillip Island race tracks and invite the current M5 owners for a 'demo'.

I heard that they had a special showing of teh E60 M5 for the 'preferred customers' after the show finished on the 14th?

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
mhh said:

Hey M,

I bought my E39 540 Sport without a Test drive. No one had one to drive. They let me drive everything they had at the time, from two seperate dealerships. Which amounted to an E39 535 and an E34 540.

In saying that, I had been invited to an M day, where I drove every M motored variation, including the M5.

Then Geoff Brabham took me for some flying laps around the Track, and Man can he drive. The fact that it was a $200K car never deterred him from hanging the tail out. :haha: After that there was never any doubt in my mind that I would one day own an M5. The rest is history.

I will most likely Buy the E 60 M5 without a test drive as well. You can't go wrong with a Motor Sport car.

I've never heard anyone say they never liked driving their Motor Sport car. They are REAL cars. Real everyday drivable enjoyable cars.

Sports cars are Unreal. Unreal to drive, and are fantatsic, but not everyday. A motorsport car is never out of place in any situation.

No stable is fully complete without at least one ///M car in it. :M5launch:

(P.S. I do realise you take the Gallardo down to the corner shop to get milk & bread. hiha )

Regards MJ

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MIB said:
Then Geoff Brabham took me for some flying laps around the Track, and Man can he drive. The fact that it was a $200K car never deterred him from hanging the tail out.
I did this too! I had a stock 540i and got invited by Adelaide Motors to Mallala to an M drive day. I didn't get behind the wheel of the M5, but I rode with Geoff B. (None of the punters got to drive the M5 that day - they were claiming a weak clutch, but probably they were just keen to avoid their only car getting damaged.)

What a trip! I was still shaking when I got back to town an hour later.
I recall Brabham driving one handed with the car sideways on a dry track, casually talking to us and demostrating the stability program. At one corner, I thought he'd missed the turn as there was no way he'd try it at the speed he was going, but he took the turn alright - accelerating all the way.

Back on topic, I'm cool about not driving the car before I get it. I'm sure the dealer will give me a try if they get any earlier car than mine, but they tell me my May build is among the first for Australia. I'm just happy to be in there early. :)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
mhh said:
I'm just happy to be in there early. :)
Actually for the First time I'm happy to wait.......ummm.....well just a little bit...anyway.

Its easy to wait when they don't have one right now to buy. hiha

I have always Loved M3's. The E46 M3 has the looks, but not the Power. I have always said they need a V-8.

The M6.......without upsetting anyone, they almost pulled it off but not quite. Maybe with a few mods the M6 could be the Beast.

So I'm holding off....or trying to hold off a bit to see them in the flesh.

Of course all bets are off the moment one arrives at the dealership. I do tend to be impulsive. hiha

MJ

·
Registered
34 Posts
aaronmiles said:
I heard that they had a special showing of teh E60 M5 for the 'preferred customers' after the show finished on the 14th?

Cheers,
Aaron
Close.
"Dear Stephen,

We wish to invite you to a very special, yet simple event - We would like to

personally show you the sensational new BMW M5 at the Motor Show.

On Wednesday 9th March, we would like you to join us for a glass of

champagne here at BMW Melbourne at 6.00pm.

You and a select group of BMW M5 enthusiasts will then be taken by small

private coach over to the Melbourne Motor Show where we will personally show

you over the new BMW M5.

The coach will return to BMW Melbourne at 7.30pm.

Please let me know ASAP if you would like to attend.

You show also be aware that demand for this vehicle is extremely high and

it's numbers are very limited!

Best regards,"

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
steve999 said:
Close.

On Wednesday 9th March, we would like you to join us for a glass of

champagne here at BMW Melbourne at 6.00pm.

Oops .. got the days wrong .. but there you go ;) They did not say where the demo car was going next?

Cheers,
Aaron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts