BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looking at used M6's from 2008 and up, seeing a number under $30k, and a fluctuating range from 30k-100k Miles. Clearly a loaded question, but does anyone have a benchmark of what number of mileage I should try and stay under? Under 50k, or 60k for example.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Just my two cents...
The miles are less important than the service history and number of owners.
I would much rather buy a one owner higher mileage beast with documentation of what has/has not been done than a low mileage beast with 3 or owners

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just my two cents...
The miles are less important than the service history and number of owners.
I would much rather buy a one owner higher mileage beast with documentation of what has/has not been done than a low mileage beast with 3 or owners
Hey, thank you, great point, I'm probably putting too much emphasis on the miles here. Assuming inevitable the higher the miles there will be more looming repairs regardless. I'm curious if there was in fact 1 owner, they took care of it, if there was mileage number I should be wary of regardless? Thanks again

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,272 Posts
if there was mileage number I should be wary of regardless
The newest cars are 10 years old at this point. Many wear items on low mileage cars have aged out by now. Would you drive around on five year old tires? Or 10 year old tires "with lots of tread and low miles?" All the rubber bits and seals will age out like old stale tires.

Uninterrupted and documented history holds more value than low miles.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Some low mileage vehicles are low mileage for a reason... like perhaps not getting driven because the owner did not want to commit the $$ for maint.
I will also point out that beasts rot after sitting for long periods of time. Some might prefer a solid well maintained daily driver over a driveway cream puff that still has lots of not yet done maint ahead of it.
Just saying... a 110K mile beast (or 150K mile beast) that has had bearings, throttle actuators, vanos, oil cooler... and all the like done might be a better deal than a 60K mile beast that still has everything to look forward to.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Shop the owner, buy the car.
Mileage is just a number, look at the cars' condition, and maintenance records. With E63/64 you need to look at: 1. SMG service (unless buying 6MT) 2. Rod bearing service 3. Vanos solenoids/Hi pressure line 4. Throttle body actuators. If none done in the past - run away, or prepare to do all shortly after you buy the car, and each one of the 4 above won't be cheap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well said brother. I have 109k on my 2007 E64. I never shy from preventative maintenance. My baby runs like the beast she is. Ive replaced rod bearings, vanos, clutch, differential, trans, and the list goes on. Here is a pic of my baby on a Trip to S Padre. 2007!!!
Mileage dont count for much in my book without service records documenting the care the car has been given.
A car can be low mileage but its owner may have drove if like he stole it ( dont get me wrong your tempted to do just that every time you get behind the wheel ) every time he drove it, and if he abused it without keeping up with the TLC it can become expensive without a extended warranty. ( I do not recommend you getting one. In my experience they have solicited me and as soon as I tell them my car is a 2007 M6, they have hung up on me and others told me they dont offer the policy for my car.) So careful with them aftermarket warranty sells.
20200311_144911.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the feedback here, it's helped my search significantly and now I'm finally asking the right questions and moving on quickly from some of the lower mileage options i've seen. (Great feedback on the extended warranty as well!)
-Much appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts