·
Registered
185 Posts
Which Yokohamas are you getting???

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure.. I spoke to the guy on the phone and Im gonna go see them tommorrow. He said they are rated at 300kph.. Do they vary in quality or series ?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I got them and so far i have no complaints. Im sure theyre not the best tire for performance out there but they cant be beat for a combination of quitness/ride/price.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I used to have the AVS sports and loved them, I gave um up and went back to the stockers (Pilot sport) due to losing three different tires in three or so months being damaged and each time having to wait 1 to 2 days for them to be special ordered....but out side of that outstanding tire, pertically in the rain.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
atlantisvip said:
How did you "Loose" 3 tires ?

not literally of course it's just the way i talk.

1. Nail

2. Screw

3. Hit a bump really hard under hard breaking.

by the way the one that made it through all of this was at the wear bars at 12k miles :)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
atlantisvip said:
wow..do you drive hard ?

i do alot of highway driving along with some spirted driving...but the stock tires only lasted 12k too (dunlap)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I used to have AVS sports on a 911 C2 and they were excellent, great grip and excellent wear rate.

Apart from also losing a couple of tyres due to nails / screws, i did about 20k miles and they were still going strong, and I drive hard all the time!

Great performance, and excellent price, good choice.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks allot guys.. Your excellent feedback has left me comfortable enough to make this purchase... I LOVE THIS BOARD ! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
atlantisvip said:
Not sure.. I spoke to the guy on the phone and Im gonna go see them tommorrow. He said they are rated at 300kph.. Do they vary in quality or series ?
They vary tremendously in performance depending on which model you get. The Yokohama AVS Sport is an excellent "Maximum Performance" tire and I wouldn't hesitate to put this on my car.

Yokohama makes two other tire models in the stock E39 M5 sizes. The AVS ES100 is catagorized as an "Ultra High Performance Summer" tire and the AVS dB S2 is catagorized as an "Ultra High Performance All-Season" tire. I would not consider either tire for my E39.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I found Yokohama's to be pretty poor in the rain. I've had two incidents where the back end has just let go completely. I went into a very tight bend at about 30 mph and it started to understeer and then snapped right into big oversteer. Nearly went into the side of a cop car. What can I say I was very lucky to just get a disapproving stare from the officer. The wear rate was excellent though but perhaps that was part of the problem, too hard a compound?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I to had the AVS tires on my car. They were better handling than the OEM Dunlops, but they wear out about twice as fast as the OEM Pilots and exhibited the same handling.

Mark

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got them..They are AVS Sports.. :M5thumbs: But I have not installed them :hihi:

The place that sold them to me does not have a very good mounting machine so I decided to play it safe and go somewhere more reputable..(hard to do in the middle east) :rolleyes: I cant wait to get them on and see how they handle !! Any advice on what cold pressure I should set these at will be appreciated.. Im thinking 37psi since that means Ill be running at around 39-40 once they get hot. Thanks for all the feedback.. :M5launch: Hey Gustav, Love the Dinan video.. I cant believe how young you are !! You have an awesome Board ! :M5eyes:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
atlantisvip said:
Well I got them..They are AVS Sports.. :M5thumbs: But I have not installed them :hihi:

The place that sold them to me does not have a very good mounting machine so I decided to play it safe and go somewhere more reputable..(hard to do in the middle east) :rolleyes: I cant wait to get them on and see how they handle !! Any advice on what cold pressure I should set these at will be appreciated.. Im thinking 37psi since that means Ill be running at around 39-40 once they get hot. Thanks for all the feedback.. :M5launch: Hey Gustav, Love the Dinan video.. I cant believe how young you are !! You have an awesome Board ! :M5eyes:

42-48

1 - 18 of 18 Posts