BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a huge dilemma. I leased a six speed 2008 M5 two years ago and now my lease will be up on the 15th Dec. My husband is insisting that I decide between a X5 (5.0 V8), a X5 M or a 750i with the sports M package. In reality I really don't want any because I want the new M5 but i will have to wait about a year or so whenever they are going to being released.

So here is my issue: which one would you recommend and if you have either of the cars, opinions are welcomed.

I am also interested in the Porsche Panamera to do something completely different. I use to have Cayenne Turbo which I really liked.

Also I plan on doing a 3 year lease and when the M5 comes out I'll post the current vehicle I will be purchasing on Swap a Lease. So one of the other factors I would like feedback on is which car would be more attractive as a lease transfer in 12-16 months from now.

Some might be wondering why the x5 (5.0 V8) is the mix. It' significantly cheaper (about 25%-30% cheaper) and a great value for the money, but after owning a M car, I'm not to sure. I have test driven all of them but still indecisive.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
First of all, all three of the choices are fantastic, so don't worry! I would say test drive them all (back to back) and then pick the one which you like the most. One thing I would consider is picking up an X5 5.0 and doing an ECU flash, which will give you similar power to the X5 M, but for far less money.

If I had to choose one of the cars you mentioned, it would probably be the Panamera (Turbo, if you can swing it). That thing is badass, and it has exceptional build quality. Test drive one, for sure.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get the F10 550. The 7 series too big and for NBA ballers (joking).

You know I figured just based on the fact its the same size of the M5 and has that great motor, I would have to say I was disappointed with the 550 with the sport package. I know I might sound crazy but the 750i drove much better then the 550i with the sport package. In my opinion the 750i sport felt just as quick and the ride was much better. I expected the 550i to feel much faster but it didnt. But I have a few friends that have driven both and felt the same way...The 550i M sport package seemed like the perfect car for me and it was a part of the list but after driving it, I lost all interest.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
If you really like the F10 5 series and want the F10 M5, go for the next best thing in the same class: the F10 550. THEN get the DINAN ECU which will put you at 500hp and 570tq. The hp figure matches the E60 in hp, but with 570tq you should be much quicker for a while.

I would not get the Panamera Turbo.. I personally think it's ugly from the rear.. and very elegant from every other angle.

I have test driven the X5M and X6M, I have a 2010 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, which I happen to like more than the X5M/X5M as it feels much more powerful. The X5M may handle better though, although it is very close between the two.

Can I ask you, what are you looking for?

If you are considering a 7 series, then I would HIGHLY recommend you go and test drive the 2011 Alpina B7. It is an amazing car.. powerful and extremely comfortable. DINAN also has an ECU tune out for the B7 which puts it at 570hp and 644tq. I have test driven the B7 twice, and I am just about sold.. will be putting an order in soon. I encourage you to test drive it.

If you are addicted to the M5's power, I would recommend choosing one of the cars that DINAN offers a tune for. That being said, you should go with one of these two:

#1: 2011 Alpina B7 (DINAN ECU: 570hp/670tq)

-- OR --

#2: 2011 F10 550i (DINAN ECU: 500hp/570tq)

·
Registered
93 Posts
i drove a 6speed M5 then none of other choice while fantastic cars will satisfy....either config a F10 550 with a manual or get a manual porsche or even a M3 till the F10M5 which I am sure will only be a DCT arrives.. so enjoy driving a proper drivers car till all manuals are gone from M world

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Why not look at a 760? Should satisfy your power requirement...

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you really like the F10 5 series and want the F10 M5, go for the next best thing in the same class: the F10 550. THEN get the DINAN ECU which will put you at 500hp and 570tq. The hp figure matches the E60 in hp, but with 570tq you should be much quicker for a while.
I don't think a 550i with just a dinan ECU will be much quicker in a race than an E60 M5. Puttering around town yes it should feel a lot quicker. The M5 has better gearing for racing with its high rpm band, and is about 200lbs lighter, so in a straight line I bet it'd be damn close.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Everything asideall good choices, I wonder what the husband is driving if she is driving the M5:M5launch:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I don't think a 550i with just a dinan ECU will be much quicker in a race than an E60 M5. Puttering around town yes it should feel a lot quicker. The M5 has better gearing for racing with its high rpm band, and is about 200lbs lighter, so in a straight line I bet it'd be damn close.
The 550i has 8 gears, so if anything it will have equal or bettering gearing advantage as an E60 M5. Add in the fact that it's got nearly 200lbs more torque and it seems like a good argument against an E60 M5. The one thing I do have to say about an M5 though is that after 100mph this car has beat much lighter, more powerful cars, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it blew past the 550i in the end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
UPDATE........Went and drove all the above options today, back to back today so we could do an apples to apples comparison (not saying all the cars were equal) just that we were able to compair them side by side. As of today I can say without doubt that there is a huge difference between the X5 V8 and the X5M.

I am not in any way saying that X5 V8 is bad car it is very good SUV and very impressive, but driving the X5 V8 and then jumping into the X5M I realized althought they are very similar in many ways and yes you can do software on the X5 V8 to bring it to similar power to the X5M. But the one thing I realized today was the BMW engineers have put alot of thought and time to give any M car enthousit and owners the special feel that BMW provides for all there M divison vehicals.

On the other hand I did drive the 550i with sport package and although another great car, I just wasnt very impressed, the best part for us today was that BMW M group did a great job on the X5M compairing it to the X5 V8, so I can only imagine how great the next M5 will be.

As for one of our other choices 750i with M sport package, Ive driven that car several times and this car never disappoints, its very impressive despite being a large luxary crusier.... So were basicly down to the X5M and the 750i with M sport package, after todays test drives were leaning toward the X5M, but if we get a great deal on the 750i then well take that. Ultamitly we want the new M5 like many on the M5 board. For now were going to sleep on it and see how we feel tomorrow. But I think the X5M or the 750i will be great for the mean time whie we suffer haha (j/K):2:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Why not buy out the lease on my M5 when it expires or extend the lease with BMW for another 12-24 months then lease an F10 M5 when it comes out in 13? Is there something wrong with your M5 (too many miles or other)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why not buy out the lease on my M5 when it expires or extend the lease with BMW for another 12-24 months then lease an F10 M5 when it comes out in 13? Is there something wrong with your M5 (too many miles or other)?
The buy out on the lease is horrible, and BMW will only extend the lease a month or 2, unless you have a new order # in the system I think and then they will give you up to 6 months. I will say I have owned #3 M5's so far: 2001, 2006, and 2008 and I can safely say I loved them all and I will miss them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts