BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm a Canadian living/working in Dubai, and I'm contemplating with the idea of buying an M5 from the US and importing it into Dubai, which I will use until I go back to Canada in a few years and take it back with me. The price of an M5 from the lot in Dubai comes out to about US$113,000, which is a lot more than the prices I've seen for US specced cars.

I have a few questions regarding the options and pricing in the US:

1. In Dubai, the cars come with a hot climate weather option as standard (specially tinted glass, more powerful air con, radiator, etc.), does a car bought from say Texas or Arizona come with this as standard as well?

2. I specced an M5 on the US BMW site and the price comes out to $89,075 MSRP, the only extra options I want are the full leather and HUD. Now is this the final price (i.e. does it include tax, etc.) and is this price negotiable?

3. Does the US spec M5 comes with an electric rear blind as standard or do you have to choose the optional electric rear blind + manual side blinds?

4. Has anybody done anything similar, importing a car from the US?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I think you should be more worry about import/export tariff between Dubai and US and it might end up not worth at all, who know. Since you would import the car, why wouldn't u go with european spec rather US spec? I don't know about Dubai, but in thailand, the import tariff could go between 200-400% plus some other additional fee here and there. Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you should be more worry about import/export tariff between Dubai and US and it might end up not worth at all, who know. Since you would import the car, why wouldn't u go with european spec rather US spec? I don't know about Dubai, but in thailand, the import tariff could go between 200-400% plus some other additional fee here and there. Good luck.
Import tax in Dubai is only 5%, which isn't a big problem. Only issue is warranty from the dealer, I'm not sure if there is such a thing as an international warranty on cars. However, I can get third party warranty from other BMW service centers.

Also a european spec car is far more expensive than the US spec, although I could get more options

·
Registered
560 Posts
If I could go Euro I would... Just better, more options, and you can do individual....

1. Never heard of this? I'd you could? The airconditioner isn't that great.

2. Gas guzzler tax

3. There are no standard manual blinds, you have to get the option

4. Bought and stayed here... I know its hard to import many cars into the U.S. dunno about out

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I could go Euro I would... Just better, more options, and you can do individual....

1. Never heard of this? I'd you could? The airconditioner isn't that great.

2. Gas guzzler tax

3. There are no standard manual blinds, you have to get the option

4. Bought and stayed here... I know its hard to import many cars into the U.S. dunno about out
Since, I'm exporting the car, shouldn't I be exempt from US taxes (Gas Guzzler and state taxes)?

Cars specced for Dubai are based on the Euro specs, so if I wanted to go Individual it isn't that much more and I would just order the car from here. Also, what I'm looking at getting is a Black on Red M5, not really interested in the Individual colours offered, unless they had a two-tone Red/Black interior, like on the Z4M's.

The only reason I'm contemplating the idea of getting a car from the US is because it is a lot cheaper, even after tax and shipping charges.

·
Registered
560 Posts
There is like a 3,000 U.S. gas guzzler tax you have to pay. Can't think of anything else like that from the top of my head... I mean, maybe you can work something out with them I'm not sure, some sort of Euro Delivery, just don't bring it back for awhile lol..

·
Registered
474 Posts
There is like a 3,000 U.S. gas guzzler tax you have to pay. Can't think of anything else like that from the top of my head... I mean, maybe you can work something out with them I'm not sure, some sort of Euro Delivery, just don't bring it back for awhile lol..
+1
I would do the same, why burn extra $$$ with taxes?. Sorry, I can't help you, but congrats on your new ride!

·
Registered
235 Posts
As for the price, I paid just over $99K for my 08 M5. So you're saving like $10K, but how much will you pay for shipping? Plus not sure if the warranty applies in a different country? U should prob. buy it from Dubai.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
The Euro delivey idea is an interesting one. Why not buy a US Spec car with Euro delivery and then agree to bring it back yourself? Even if they can't agree to that, buy it, pick it up and just never show at the port. I doubt they would care and what could they do about it anyway?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi guys,

1. In Dubai, the cars come with a hot climate weather option as standard (specially tinted glass, more powerful air con, radiator, etc.), does a car bought from say Texas or Arizona come with this as standard as well?

No they do not, I have checked.

2. I specced an M5 on the US BMW site and the price comes out to $89,075 MSRP, the only extra options I want are the full leather and HUD. Now is this the final price (i.e. does it include tax, etc.) and is this price negotiable?

Yes the price is negotiable. No it does not include tax. You might be able to get out of paying taxes if you work with the dealer and never register the car in the US. Ofcourse at some point you will have to pay it if you bring it the car back to Canada. Probably better for you to sell it in Dubai if you are going to be there for 3+ years.

3. Does the US spec M5 comes with an electric rear blind as standard or do you have to choose the optional electric rear blind + manual side blinds?

No its does not, its an option.

I have some friends who import cars to Dubai from the US, but they are used low ends cars meant for reexport from Dubai to places like Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc. From what I understand it can be done but this probably does not help you much.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys,

No they do not, I have checked.

Yes the price is negotiable. No it does not include tax. You might be able to get out of paying taxes if you work with the dealer and never register the car in the US. Ofcourse at some point you will have to pay it if you bring it the car back to Canada. Probably better for you to sell it in Dubai if you are going to be there for 3+ years.

No its does not, its an option.

I have some friends who import cars to Dubai from the US, but they are used low ends cars meant for reexport from Dubai to places like Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc. From what I understand it can be done but this probably does not help you much.
Thanks for the info, from what I have read on this and other forums, is that I will most likely lose the warranty on the car when exporting it out of US. So I will probably just look to try to get a better deal from the dealer in Dubai, or look for a second hand one.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
The BMW dealer here in Bahrain have ordered US specs e60 M5's and i got a chance to see one of them ready for delivery. It had a trunk for a short number plate with a mp/h speedo. Now im not sure at what price they sold the car but it was for an employee of the American base here and 1 of many that was imported.

So this might be another way to order your car. I suggest you give them a call to get the full details. +973 17750750

Hope i helped.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
As for the price, I paid just over $99K for my 08 M5. So you're saving like $10K, but how much will you pay for shipping? Plus not sure if the warranty applies in a different country? U should prob. buy it from Dubai.
sorry for off topic... but you paid 99k for your M5? They didn't discount?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
sorry for off topic... but you paid 99k for your M5? They didn't discount?
My car with full leather was listed at $121,700 and i got them to bring the price down to $112,500.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You may want to look into the laws of importing a non-NA car back to NA since you're planning on shipping it to Canada later on. That might be the deciding factor for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts