BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help finding out if I should bid on this item from Ebay

I am in the market for a pair of angel eye headlights since my 2000 M5 obviously did not come with them. I was planning to bid on these headlights and a friend of mine told me that these aren't hellas. Can anyone please verify this for me?

The seller also says that these headlights fit the 2001 - 2003 e39 series but there is no mention of it fitting my 2000 e39. Will I have a problem with fitment for my car?

Also, the seller indicates that these headlights are "white indicator types." What does that mean?

Whoever can enlighten me, thanks for your help. Your a lifesaver!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E39-5-SERIES-XENON-HEADLIGHTS-BRAND-NEW-PAIR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8003990685QQrdZ1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Re: Need help finding out if I should bid on this item from Ebay

It appears they are Hellas since the ad indicates original equipment part #s. The white indicator bulbs are probably something like Silverstars or something (non-amber). They will fit a MY00 (did it on my car), but you will need to buy "Y" adapters made by Hella. There is usually some for sale on ebay, but Eurosport over in Atlanta sells them too for about $50. Best upgrade for 2000s IMO. I bought some euro angel eyes (they have clear corners instead of amber) for about $700 on ebay. Shipping was steep at $175 but they came from a German vendor. Good luck. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
I wanted to be extra safe buying my Angel Eyes for my 2000 M5. I do buy a lot of things on eBay, but not something like Angel Eyes, to many things could be wrong or go wrong with them. I got a good deal on mine from www.bekkers.com I got the clear euro Hella's for $990, and that included the wiring splitter.

With electrical parts like this, unless its like 50% savings, I'll buy retail.

BTW, this is the best MOD I've done to date, make a world of difference. :1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
billrM5 said:
I wanted to be extra safe buying my Angel Eyes for my 2000 M5. I do buy a lot of things on eBay, but not something like Angel Eyes, to many things could be wrong or go wrong with them. I got a good deal on mine from www.bekkers.com I got the clear euro Hella's for $990, and that included the wiring splitter.

With electrical parts like this, unless its like 50% savings, I'll buy retail.

BTW, this is the best MOD I've done to date, make a world of difference. :1:
Well, well another South Carolinian on the board. Wherebouts you located? Sampsue and I are in Summerville and Charleston. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,969 Posts
billrM5 said:
BTW, this is the best MOD I've done to date, make a world of difference. :1:
Agreed. Got mine upgraded and love 'em. Nothing looks quite as wicked as an M5 with halos lit bearing down on you in your rear view mirror... a scary sight. :biggrin:

Word of caution on installation.... It is not a plug 'n play situation. Car needs to be re-programmed, new wiring, etc. Be sure that you understand this mod before jumping in. Search a recent thread for additional discussion.

Cheers,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
wilsodh said:
Agreed. Got mine upgraded and love 'em. Nothing looks quite as wicked as an M5 with halos lit bearing down on you in your rear view mirror... a scary sight. :biggrin:

Word of caution on installation.... It is not a plug 'n play situation. Car needs to be re-programmed, new wiring, etc. Be sure that you understand this mod before jumping in. Search a recent thread for additional discussion.

Cheers,
I understand that the car would need new wiring but reprogramming? Thats new to me. By reprogramming do you mean updating the software or just rewiring the original setup?


Furthermore, I decided not to bid on that item. I PM'd the guy and asked if I can do a pick up since its a delivery and he said no; he insisted that I pay for shipping. Meanwhile we both are from NY. hmmm Also, is it me or does the bottom headlight look like it has a crack within the cylinder of the angel eye?
May be a bad camera shot?

Nonetheless, does anyone have a set of headlights they want to part with? Please let me know (new or used).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Petey Pop said:
I understand that the car would need new wiring but reprogramming? Thats new to me. By reprogramming do you mean updating the software or just rewiring the original setup?


Furthermore, I decided not to bid on that item. I PM'd the guy and asked if I can do a pick up since its a delivery and he said no; he insisted that I pay for shipping. Meanwhile we both are from NY. hmmm Also, is it me or does the bottom headlight look like it has a crack within the cylinder of the angel eye?
May be a bad camera shot?

Nonetheless, does anyone have a set of headlights they want to part with? Please let me know (new or used).
Petey, check out www.germanstuff4u.com. Or check out ebay seller oemgermanparts. Frank sells them for $789 but I was wrong, the shipping is $120, not $175 as I previously posted. Go ahead - pull the trigger - you'll be glad you did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,969 Posts
Petey Pop said:
I understand that the car would need new wiring but reprogramming? Thats new to me. By reprogramming do you mean updating the software or just rewiring the original setup?
I don't understand the specifics of the re-programming. When I was first exploring the upgrade, I talked to a trusted body shop who has performed this swap-in. They said they could bolt everything in and wire them up, but that the car would have to be taken to a BMW dealer for re-programming. This was later the same information I got from the two BMW dealers I approached to perform the upgrade. One dealer here in Chicago (Field's) didn't understand exactly how to do it (saying there was no procedure for this from BMW) and declined the job. I had to really twist the arm of Knauz BMW to do the job. At first they said they couldn't guarantee the results (short bulb life span..), but this was probably a scare tactic. They agreed to do the job when I persisted, but ended up keeping the car for a day and a half (they didn't have all the right parts). The upshot from my experience is that this is not an afternoon job in your garage. Might need to do some homework and/or legwork to make it happen so that the lights work properly.

Cheers,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Another concern I encountered when I did my upgrade last year as many aftermarket will not contain the auto leveling feature the factory maintains. If this is a concern, I'd recommend to ensure the aftermarket ones contain this feature.

TripleD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
wilsodh said:
Agreed. Got mine upgraded and love 'em. Nothing looks quite as wicked as an M5 with halos lit bearing down on you in your rear view mirror... a scary sight. :biggrin:

Word of caution on installation.... It is not a plug 'n play situation. Car needs to be re-programmed, new wiring, etc. Be sure that you understand this mod before jumping in. Search a recent thread for additional discussion.

Cheers,
for me it was plug and play, no reprogramming necessary. I plugged them in, turned on the lights before I fully bolted them in to be sure and they worked fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,969 Posts
billrM5 said:
for me it was plug and play, no reprogramming necessary. I plugged them in, turned on the lights before I fully bolted them in to be sure and they worked fine.
lscman indicated on a previous post:

The halo eyes are normally lit during the day with headlights off. This obviously requires a 12vdc source and wiring that is not found on cars that did not come with angel eyes. To do it according to the BMW book would likely involve programming and special cables. There are workarounds & BMWtips is a good info source.

Cheers,
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
wilsodh said:
lscman indicated on a previous post:

The halo eyes are normally lit during the day with headlights off. This obviously requires a 12vdc source and wiring that is not found on cars that did not come with angel eyes. To do it according to the BMW book would likely involve programming and special cables. There are workarounds & BMWtips is a good info source.

Cheers,
Dave
I never did this conversion & I have no specific info. As someone noted above, an additional factory harness did the trick. For whatever reason, other experiences differ. Folks struggling are likely trying to convert a halogen E39 car to Xenon angel eyes which is the most difficult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,969 Posts
Lscman said:
I never did this conversion & I have no specific info. As someone noted above, an additional factory harness did the trick. For whatever reason, other experiences differ. Folks struggling are likely trying to convert a halogen E39 car to Xenon angel eyes which is the most difficult.
Thanks for the follow up comments. I believe all 99-00 M5's have xenons, the halos being added in later years. Therefore 99-00's have the xenon control units already in place. That is why I was surprised and frustrated that I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone at the two dealerships. Fields technicians flatly said the conversion couldn't be done, which of course is not true. They later said BMW does not have a procedure for the conversion. I dunno why there seemed to be so much confusion about what should on the surface be a straightforward conversion. But three independent parties all agreed that the car needed re-programming.

Cheers,
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
wilsodh said:
That is why I was surprised and frustrated that I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone at the two dealerships. Fields technicians flatly said the conversion couldn't be done, which of course is not true. They later said BMW does not have a procedure for the conversion. I dunno why there seemed to be so much confusion about what should on the surface be a straightforward conversion.
Most dealers perform straighforward service "by the book" only. Modding cars is not what they are about, and several service managers that I have known routinely turn down such requests. I'm lucky - my BMW dealer does anything for me - but I know that they don't routinely do it for other customers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,969 Posts
BKH said:
Most dealers perform straighforward service "by the book" only. Modding cars is not what they are about, and several service managers that I have known routinely turn down such requests. I'm lucky - my BMW dealer does anything for me - but I know that they don't routinely do it for other customers.
That makes sense. I guess I didn't consider that adding halos to a model line that was subsequently fitted with halos at the factory was a 'mod'.

One board member once recommended buying your favorite service advisor a bottle of good booze (or something to that effect) precisely to encourage a 'can do' relationship. That is good advice.

Cheers,
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
I have a mate who works for BMW, and it certainly is a case of be nice to your SA and they will be nice to you, there are things that 'can be done' for the right customer.

63 12 0 025 193 - CONVERSION KIT, HEADLIGHT, FACELIFT 2000

Thats the part number for the XENON Euro White indicator retrofit kit.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,462 Posts
boplaw said:
Petey, check out www.germanstuff4u.com. Or check out ebay seller oemgermanparts. Frank sells them for $789 but I was wrong, the shipping is $120, not $175 as I previously posted. Go ahead - pull the trigger - you'll be glad you did.
I also used this vendor with good results, total cost was a bit under a grand to my door in less than a week.

They are plug and play, if you have the right harness, if you don't the harness assembly is well documented on bmwtips.com. There is no programming necessary, just dealer excuse for more labor i suppose. If you go oe/hella, the halos go on with the parking lamps. There are aftermarket kits that run full time, with much brighter halos, not what i wanted, and these are not plug and play, wiring etc is needed.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
What about the postage charges? $120 sounds rather steep considering and thats still 2-4 weeks. Add $45 for airmail. I got a DVD computer sent to me from germany for USD$48, and that was by airmail (11 days), now while they are of different size, I would not expect that much of a price difference? or am I just being picky?

Also ... I heard that you need a different piece of trim that goes between the bumper and the headlight? can anyone confirm if that is right or not?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,462 Posts
aaronmiles said:
What about the postage charges? $120 sounds rather steep considering and thats still 2-4 weeks. Add $45 for airmail. I got a DVD computer sent to me from germany for USD$48, and that was by airmail (11 days), now while they are of different size, I would not expect that much of a price difference? or am I just being picky?

Also ... I heard that you need a different piece of trim that goes between the bumper and the headlight? can anyone confirm if that is right or not?
i don;t remember my price breakdown, but from berlin to my door via some priority shipping (can't remember exactly, fed ex world, i think) was under $1k. Took 6 days to get to Ca. and that was with a one day hold up at customs for me to sign some form saying the parts were legal auto replacement parts, or something like that.
Mike
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top