BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
we will buy an e34 b10 4.6 touring for aour company. Are there any specifics we should take care about? Some special Alpina problems or something like that? The car is in very mint condition so if there could be any hidden problems or faults I would like to know where to look.

Thanks in advance

Konstantin

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
Quite a rare car! :thumbsup:

I think are no issues specific to this car other than the bore wear problem all early BMW V8 engines sometimes exhibited.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rare car? I think rare doesn't describe it: there were 19 b10 4.6 tourings built - I think only the 4.0 touring wuth 3 units is more rare.
Do you think the bore wear problem does still exist on a 95 Model? And wasn't that specific to the nikasil block and high sulfur fuel?

Konstantin

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, but luckily it it one of the few with manual 6-speed transmission:))
btw. could it be that this is the stock 540i gearbox? That would mean it is an Getrag S6S 420G, which is built for standing about 420Nm, which is near/slightly over limit.

Konstantin

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
Konstantin said:
rare car? I think rare doesn't describe it: there were 19 b10 4.6 tourings built - I think only the 4.0 touring wuth 3 units is more rare.
B10 4.0 Touring was built in 4 units

·
Registered
787 Posts
Konstantin said:
Do you think the bore wear problem does still exist on a 95 Model? And wasn't that specific to the nikasil block and high sulfur fuel?

Konstantin
Maybe it is just me, but I still think 19 produced cars is considered rare... The odds of meeting one on the road is almost 0. Heck I can could the times I ran into a BiTurbo in euro traffic on 1 finger and they made over 500 of those! The Bi Turbo is almost a VW in the Alpina world in comparision...:hihi:

Saving my money for the dime a dozen B12 5.7 Coupe....

Carl

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Konstantin said:

Konstantin
It indeed was specific to the Nikasil block and high sulphur fuel. I don't know when they switched from nikasil to alusil but the 4.6 probably is nikasil. Get the engine no. and check with your local BMW dealer - they will be able to tell you if it is nikasil or alusil.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
Konstantin said:
I checked that one: from 5/94 on they produced the alusil block - so this car (produced 01/95), and perhaps all 4.6, has the alusil block.

Konstantin
Good luck with the purchase Konstantin...keep us posted how you get on!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We did it: Yesterday we bought the B10 4.6 touring for my company partner. Pictures can be found here: http://www.e34s.de/www/alpina/b1046t.html
This is an awesome car: tremendous torque from idle to redline and, compared to the M5, a real cruising car. Very low noise in the inside, very smooth engine - and it doesn't matter in which gear you are that car is just accelerating whenever you want it to. On the other hand acceleration is not so spectecular like in the M - although on the paper is is the same.
When my touring is repaired we will compare those two cars directly, and I'll post the results.

Konstantin

·
Registered
318 Posts
Congratulations!

I have a B10V8 4.6 (saloon, not touring) and I think it's probably the best car I've ever owned.

In terms of performance - it's interesting because it is deceptively fast, and because the performance is so accessible.

For example there is a slip road near my house where I try to reach 100mph before a particular road sign. I have no problems doing it in the Alpina, and it feels very easy and comfortable. However when I try with my 911 Turbo 3.6, it doesn't seem any faster than the Alpina, but it does feel scarier and less safe. (On the other hand the brakes on the Turbo completely outclass the Alpina)

If I had to get my daughter to hospital in an emergency, which car would I choose? I would choose the Alpina, every time.

(BTW is 19 cars rare? Definitely. There were only about 60-70 right hand drive 911 Turbo 3.6 cars built, and it is described as "very rare" in the Porsche world)

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
Konstantin said:
We did it: Yesterday we bought the B10 4.6 touring for my company partner. Pictures can be found here: http://www.e34s.de/www/alpina/b1046t.html
This is an awesome car: tremendous torque from idle to redline and, compared to the M5, a real cruising car. Very low noise in the inside, very smooth engine - and it doesn't matter in which gear you are that car is just accelerating whenever you want it to. On the other hand acceleration is not so spectecular like in the M - although on the paper is is the same.
When my touring is repaired we will compare those two cars directly, and I'll post the results.

Konstantin
Congrads! Beautiful car! :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts