BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying a M5 from 2005/05 with 44000Km (27000Miles)
Is there anything i should be aware of? Cant find to many answers here in Sweden and hoping you guys could help me. The car has been by BMW for all the upgrades and even changed the hydralic part in the SMG gearbox.
Is there more?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
If the gearbox has been repaired it is not worth getting. Mine was replaced twice and it still broke down :mad:

Try and get a newer car if you can afford it. The 2005 cars are notorious for gearbox failures.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Undeniably, Ashok's experience has been horrible. But it also appears that such repeated failures are exceedingly rare. I also had the hydraulic unit replaced. My transmission had not a single problem before and not a single problem after. I am nearly 32,000 miles, including track time. My take on your question is the opposite -- if the hydraulic actuator has been replaced, I see this as a relatively safe purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the gearbox has been repaired it is not worth getting. Mine was replaced twice and it still broke down :mad:

Try and get a newer car if you can afford it. The 2005 cars are notorious for gearbox failures.

It didnt brake down they just changed due to warranty.
Its been in n out for some upgrades and softwareupdate......

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
But the major failures generally affected the 05 cars, so why not just go for an 06 and better your odds?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts