BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm in the process of purchasing a 2006 M6 and I was hoping some of you could give me some ideas on what to inspect from a mechanical reliability point of view. I'm putting together a checklist. I'm already aware of the SMG clutch problems, the oil cooling unit leak issues and the convertible RED light issue (although I don't think I'll be getting the coupe). The cars I'm looking at have between 38K and 55K miles on them. Any pointers on what to look for and what to get on the car would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi. I'm in the process of purchasing a 2006 M6 and I was hoping some of you could give me some ideas on what to inspect from a mechanical reliability point of view. I'm putting together a checklist. I'm already aware of the SMG clutch problems, the oil cooling unit leak issues and the convertible RED light issue (although I don't think I'll be getting the coupe). The cars I'm looking at have between 38K and 55K miles on them. Any pointers on what to look for and what to get on the car would be greatly appreciated.
I would continue to review this forum as you've been doing, the search function is great!
Start by searching.....
Rod Bearings
SMG -yellow/Red cog
SMG v Manual (if in the colonies)
PLCD
New Battery needed
Clutch kit / release bearing
VANOS / Solenoids
Diff
Oil changes

Then move onto searching...
Best car I've ever owned
N/A V10 power!
Straight through pipes / exhaust mods
Decat
Headers
Bloody hell it's fast
Beast
Wolf pack
Stroker
Sway bars
Troy Jeup
Jcolley

Good luck, stay safe and have fun!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. I have been doing a lot of research but experienced owners are always the best.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Then find a good qualified mechanic who knows M6's and have them look at it for you, I have never been in a situation where the mechanic didn't find something that I could use to reduce the sale price for at lease the cost of the inspection so its a no lose deal to get it inspected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove a 2006 M6 yesterday. Amazingly fast. But i noticed after my test drive as i walked around the car that there was a faint smell of burning oil. When i opened the hood i didnt smell it but i did near the wheel wells. Im sure the car was sitting at the dealer for a while and i really pushed her but is this normal for an M6? It has 52k miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I drove a 2006 M6 yesterday. Amazingly fast. But i noticed after my test drive as i walked around the car that there was a faint smell of burning oil. When i opened the hood i didnt smell it but i did near the wheel wells. Im sure the car was sitting at the dealer for a while and i really pushed her but is this normal for an M6? It has 52k miles.
Run from it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts