BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="80%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right bgColor=#eeeeee></TD><TD></TD><TD width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff>Well,

I have finally decided to take the plunge into the M5 series. After going through the M driving school a few weeks back and thoroughly flogging the M beasts I have decided to buy one. Here is skinny..

2001 M5 with 48000 miles. The car is CPO and original warranty will expire in mid- november 04(in a few weeks).

What do I need to be concerned about as far as buying this used vehicle ? I have already spoken to the previous owner an he advised me that the car was good to him. The car has had inspection II service last month. Tires are ok.

Do I need to be concerned about the clutch ? Brakes ? Recalls ? Known problems ? What ??? Should I bother with an extended warranty if the car is CPO ?

BTW I do have another opportunity a little further away. Same car but NOT CPO, $4k more but 20K miles fewer. Any opinions on a 2001 M5 with 30K, not CPO vs. 48K with CPO? Original warranties expire on both cars within a few weeks of one another.

M5 gurus please chime-in.

Thanks in advance,
d_russian

PS I x-posted this message on roadfly but responses have not been helpful. Also I did a search on this board as well and did not find too much either.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
691 Posts
d_russian said:
Same car but NOT CPO, $4k more but 20K miles fewer. Any opinions on a 2001 M5 with 30K, not CPO vs. 48K with CPO?
d_russian,

I bought my 2001 in 2002, though it went into service late 2000, so it was essentially in the field for 2 years. My car now has 50,000 miles on it. I have been very satisifeid with my CPO purchase, many of the typical things have gone wrong with my car and BMW has fixed everything without a problem. In addition, a CPO car should come with a 6 year, 100,000 mile drive train warrantee and that doesn't even consider your option to extend maintenance for the same period of time. Assuming both cars are in similar, "perfect" condition, I would put my money on the CPO car . . .

JMO, Kevin

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the board! :cheers:

·
10,445 Posts
I agree that i'd go with the cpo car with more miles. I've had my cpo car for about a year and a half, the cpo has come in handy, but look at the exclusion list on the bmw web site. Most of the in-car electronics are not covered (stereo, nav etc). It's tough to say about the clutch. Give the car a good agressive test drive. Full throttle from second to third will make the clutch slip if it's wearing.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts