BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have owned several bmw's including an 03 530i. I currently have a 330xi 2005 and a 2004 corvette convertible. The m5 is carbon black metallic with caramel extended leather interior. The car is loaded 54,500 cpo. oh 18000 miles. Probably could have done a little better but it is mint and i fell in love with the color combo. Anyway, the numbers for the corvette and the m are very close in 0-60 etc. The feeling of the 2 however is so different. The corvette pins you in your seat more than the m5. It seems to be going faster. However the M5 is very quiet in comparison and before you blink your going 90 mph. The vette you hear scream. Oh by the way you also hear the vette rattle etc. The build quality is obviously not a comparison. Each has their place. It seems most of the 5 series including the m i have driven really launch in second gear more so than first. Are your feelings the same? Anything i should look out for. Thanks for the input. glad to be on board.

·
Registered
267 Posts
a nice exhaust will take care of the lack of noise.

correct me if I am wrong but starting in 2nd, I would think puts more wear on the clutch.

Ps I love the all leather look/feel, pet the roof.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DrewT said:
a nice exhaust will take care of the lack of noise.

correct me if I am wrong but starting in 2nd, I would think puts more wear on the clutch.

Ps I love the all leather look/feel, pet the roof.
not starting in second just seems first gear in most bmw's doesn't launch that hard. seems it really starts pulling hard in second. i will also need to get used to the launch in first. by the way the quiet sound is quite nice to be honest.

·
Registered
267 Posts
oh ok, with dsc off I find it very hard to get traction at WOT in 1st gear. wait til some higher gear pulls to redline, scary.

If you are in the city (either way) you really should hear a modded car.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
kfx4000 said:
not starting in second just seems first gear in most bmw's doesn't launch that hard. seems it really starts pulling hard in second. i will also need to get used to the launch in first. by the way the quiet sound is quite nice to be honest.
Are you disabling DSC? If not, it is probably chopping off throttle, perhaps a lot. I always do the two finger salute when driving the M5 (DSC off and Sport on). 1st pulls very hard in my car...have to feather throttle to keep from spinning the tires too much on any type of significant launch. If I've engaged the clutch, and am going say 5-10mph, and nail the throttle, up in smoke go the Pilot Sports. :M5launch:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CSBM5 said:
Are you disabling DSC? If not, it is probably chopping off throttle, perhaps a lot. I always do the two finger salute when driving the M5 (DSC off and Sport on).
dsc was on as was sport. will this really hurt acceleration? it shouldn't. my point was that the vette just seems to pull alot harder than the m in first. the sound, weight and how low you are could have something to do with this. it just seems faster.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Yeah, DSC is EXTREMELY intrusive in the M5. The car simply can't be driven hard at all without DSC stepping in and cutting the throttle. The DSC algorithm is very aggressive in the M5. I was told it was programmed this way since the car builds torque so quickly that they have to aggressively take away throttle to maintain the DSC's goals. Try it with DSC off -- if it is not neck snapping in 1st gear, breaking the tires loose, etc...then it's time to look further into a potential performance issue (i.e. MAFs, etc.).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CSBM5 said:
Yeah, DSC is EXTREMELY intrusive in the M5. The car simply can't be driven hard at all without DSC stepping in and cutting the throttle. The DSC algorithm is very aggressive in the M5. I was told it was programmed this way since the car builds torque so quickly that they have to aggressively take away throttle to maintain the DSC's goals. Try it with DSC off -- if it is not neck snapping in 1st gear, breaking the tires loose, etc...then it's time to look further into a potential performance issue (i.e. MAFs, etc.).
it get's intrusive in a straight line, would the light go on or does it just cut your acceleration down

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
kfx4000 said:
it get's intrusive in a straight line, would the light go on or does it just cut your acceleration down
It chops the throttle and greatly slows down the car. In order to launch the car decently, DSC has to be off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CSBM5 said:
It chops the throttle and greatly slows down the car. In order to launch the car decently, DSC has to be off.
thanks i will go drive it again tonite with the dsc off. the car seems to be immaculate, one of the cleanest i have seen since i've been looking. i appreciate your prompt answers to my questions. this board is great already.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CSBM5 said:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
kfx4000 said:
dsc was on as was sport. will this really hurt acceleration? it shouldn't. my point was that the vette just seems to pull alot harder than the m in first. the sound, weight and how low you are could have something to do with this. it just seems faster.
In my experiance with some of the M-cars (E46 M3, E36 M3 and E39 M5), they really come into their own in 3rd gear and higher.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I think I know what you mean by the 1st/2nd gear issue. When I first got my car I felt the same way...when I went to 2nd gear from first I seemed to really take off.

Now, I think that both gears pull hard and I have gotten use to the characteristics of 1st gear. I think in the beginning I was just too timid with 1st gear.

Good luck with the car!

·
Registered
267 Posts
kfx4000 said:
thanks i will go drive it again tonite with the dsc off. the car seems to be immaculate, one of the cleanest i have seen since i've been looking. i appreciate your prompt answers to my questions. this board is great already.
Be careful as if the pavement is anything but bone dry, getting sideways is pretty easy if you ain't straight when you nail the throttle in 1st. Otherwise :M5launch: oh watch for wheel hop :grrrrr:

·
Registered
12,926 Posts
kfx4000 said:
Try launching between 1500 and 2000 rpm, but be careful, the cars have a notoriously weak clutch, do not allow much slip or you can easily fry the clutch!!!
Enjoy.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Good luck with the new ride! I definetly recommend "Sport" mode "on" and DSC dis-engaged for great M5 driving:M5rev:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts