BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strong 2000, with 106K miles. Engine has been lovingly maintained by Bavarian Machine Specialties, but it's really showing its age. I suspect the rod bearings are going; no obvious knock yet, but Dan the mechanic has a Bad Feeling. I know the cam chain tensioners and guides are shot, and the VANOS on the passenger side is not posting in GT1; there's something funky there. So I'm thinking: a) swap engines with a fresh(er) one b) buy a nice used one and suffer all the maintenance costs I've already had--new clutch, new shocks, etc. but enjoy a fresh engine c) bite the bullet, and do all the work. God this is the sad part! it's like having a sick old dog and contemplating end-of-life issues! BIG QUESTION: does anyone out there--like the famous Razahyde--have a nice low-mileage engine they want to part with? Pretty please?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Since the engine doesn't knock yet, why not change rod bearings and get the vanos and timing chain system refurbished before collateral damage destroys your well-maintained rebuildable core? The whole refurb job should not exceed $5-6K. This should get you another 100K+ mi. You generally can't purchase a young, strong engine and swap it (labor fees) for under $15K, unless you're buying stolen merchandise. Many M motors selling on ebay and craigslist are hot (theft). This becomes apparent at the border when VIN check is made as buyers try to cross from Canada into USA. Low mile motors are often lies. It is difficult to verify.

A used motor with 60K mi may not be in better condition than yours. Used could cost 3x and the seller could misrepresent the motor or you could discover latent issues which would be a total disaster. Used motors become less desirable over years as the avg fleet mileage rises pushes 100K mi.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lscman! Yup kind of my feelings. I'm planning on doing the bearings myself, and *may* tackle the valvetrain too; there have been two or three write-ups on this board with people DIY'ing the cam chains. The parts cost is about $1K; it's the labor that tacks on the extra $5K. I've rebuilt engines in the past, and I'm putting a lift in my garage for my track car... Love this car. It's my second BMW after an M-Coupe and it's the best all-around car I've ever owned. I've pulled an S63 AMG, we ran hard from 70mph to 170mph out on I10 once, and I just killed him on both runs. Can't count the number of 911's I've surprised on the highway, not to mention sport bikes. These M5's are just unbelievable at highway speed, and they do remarkably well for such a heavy car on the track. I can't stand the idea of giving it up. I'm not even so sure about the new M3; yeah, it revs like bejeesus, but it won't have that comfortable low-end grunt the M5's have.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks Lscman! Yup kind of my feelings. I'm planning on doing the bearings myself, and *may* tackle the valvetrain too; there have been two or three write-ups on this board with people DIY'ing the cam chains. The parts cost is about $1K; it's the labor that tacks on the extra $5K. I've rebuilt engines in the past, and I'm putting a lift in my garage for my track car... Love this car. It's my second BMW after an M-Coupe and it's the best all-around car I've ever owned. I've pulled an S63 AMG, we ran hard from 70mph to 170mph out on I10 once, and I just killed him on both runs. Can't count the number of 911's I've surprised on the highway, not to mention sport bikes. These M5's are just unbelievable at highway speed, and they do remarkably well for such a heavy car on the track. I can't stand the idea of giving it up. I'm not even so sure about the new M3; yeah, it revs like bejeesus, but it won't have that comfortable low-end grunt the M5's have.
You pulled an S63, several 911s and sport bikes in a car with failing Vanos and drivetrain issues? Hell Ill give you my motor, pay for shipping and give you 10k for your lump............

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...that was some time ago

You pulled an S63, several 911s and sport bikes in a car with failing Vanos and drivetrain issues? Hell Ill give you my motor, pay for shipping and give you 10k for your lump............
That was probably 20K miles ago! I'm taking it easy now to avoid aggravating any rod bearing situation--not to mention avoiding bits of chain guide flying around--so nothing over 5500 rpms or 120mph.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts