BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My 05 M3 ZCP lease is coming to an end April 27th. Long story short, I've been eyeing an 03 M5 forever, the buyout of my M3 and a nice 03 M5 with about 40k miles is about the same price ($35k).

So, the "safe" decision is to keep my M3 which I do love. However the M5 is an overall better car (larger, more space, luxurious, etc).

So... turn in the M3 or go for an M5? Thoughts?

TIA :cheers:

·
10,456 Posts
well, on the m5board, most of us will say get the m5.
My only thought is with a buyout of $35k, that sounds like an expensive M3! Assuming a 3 year lease of about a grand a month?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, on the m5board, most of us will say get the m5.
My only thought is with a buyout of $35k, that sounds like an expensive M3! Assuming a 3 year lease of about a grand a month?
My M3 is an 05 ZCP, SMG, 17k miles, NAV - totally loaded - its actually a nice deal and quite a nce incentive they offered me.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've had two of each...I'm in love with both the E46 M3 and the E39 M5...although I like the E39 M5 better overall.

I would say go ahead and drive a few M5's and then decide...they are totally different cars especially if your M3 is SMG...two totally different animals.

Go for the beast though if you want more power, manual transmission, and more room.

I had a loaded 2005 M3 ZCP Imola Red for a year...and while I loved the car, I was always thinking about the E39 M5...so I decided to get back into a E39 M5 and mod it and have never looked back.

While I wouldn't trade my M5 for an M3, I would love to add an M3 to the mix and still keep the M5.

The best advice though is to get out there and drive a few and then decide what is best for you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mt buddu dumped his modded '02 M3 (36K miles, got 36K) for a '00 M5 (48K miles, paid 31K) in '06. Per him, best move he ever made. He also had two kids between '02 and '06, so it was a no brainer for him.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We are all going to say the M5 is a better car... But if I were the original owner of a low mile m3 I would think hard about selling it to get a used anything. Keep it and get an M5!

·
13,589 Posts
M3s and M5s are two totally different animals that go about doing what they do in two very different ways. If you want a more relaxed driving experience, go with the M5 (relaxed doesnt mean slow, it means you dont need 34234234 rpm to really get moving like in the M3). If you like a more frenetic driving experience, stick with the M3. Either way, Try an M5 out and see if it's for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
well you still have another year of factory warranty on your zcp right? only 17k , you have all the options m5 does and most of all you drove the car from when it was new and have all service records and more important you know how you drove it so for me it would be a no brainer. don't get me wrong i love both cars but in your case m3 is a better option unless you are planning on large familly but even then you still have couple of years untill kids get bigger so for now they can still fit in the back seat of the m3 :).

·
Registered
728 Posts
go M5 . The M5 is a car you that can grow with you (example family, luxury) whereas the M3 is fun but a car you may grow out of.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would say go ahead and drive a few M5's and then decide...they are totally different cars especially if your M3 is SMG...two totally different animals.

The best advice though is to get out there and drive a few and then decide what is best for you.
I agree 100% but there are NO M5's around for me to drive. These cars are a little harder to find than I thought, so my local dealer is working on finding one for me.

I drove on about 5 mos ago, and I was in love.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
go M5 . The M5 is a car you that can grow with you (example family, luxury) whereas the M3 is fun but a car you may grow out of.
Yeah, this is my 2nd M3 and I am "growing out of it" a little. My wife and family hate to drive in it with the ZCP, so we always end up taking my wife's Buick, er uh E350 Mercedes :blabla:. In the M5 I should be able to move people around much easier and get to drive the family around more

1 - 16 of 16 Posts