BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm looking to eventually own a ('01-'03) M5 - my current finances dictate otherwise. I can, however afford a pre-owned 525i. What do you guys think, should I "get my feet wet" with the 525 now or save up and get the M5 in a few years? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would look into getting an E34 M5. I sold my 91 E34 M5 2 years ago for $14K. It had close to 170K miles on it but still ran perfectly. If you can find a relatively low miles, lets say around 80K or less, and have a good PPI performed, you would end up with a great car for a great price. And then in a few years you can trade up to the big leagues!!:cheers:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Don't forget, it's not the sticker price of the M5, but the cost for repair and maintainence that you have to think about after the purchase$$$$$:viking:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Only you can answer that, but I say go for it, assuming it is a 5-speed! I owned a 528 and then a 530 before I bought the M5. At the time, I never would have considered an M5 (too much power, who needs it, etc.). After driving the I6 E39s for 6 years I realized that I could use the extra power of an M5 in a controlled way.

I suggest you consider a 5-speed 528 with the sport package. Its power is very similar to the 530, and you can then put even more money into the "M5 account"!

Even if you never get the M5, you will have a great car...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
EksM5 said:
Hello. I'm looking to eventually own a ('01-'03) M5 - my current finances dictate otherwise. I can, however afford a pre-owned 525i. What do you guys think, should I "get my feet wet" with the 525 now or save up and get the M5 in a few years? Thanks for any input.
How about getting your feet wet with an e36 M3 sedan?

The pricing on them seems fairly reasonable, and much of the depreciation has hit, so you can continue to save for your M5.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know if this car is still available or if the price is reasonable or not since I'm not in the E34 M5 market but I'd think about it over an E39 525 for a few years. If you do go for the 525 be sure to get a 5spd. Lemme see if this link to autotrader.com works...

1991 M5

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Go get as copy of the film Ronin ;)

Watch it :wroom:

Get out your cheque book :eek:

Buy an E34 M5 :haha2:

Stuff running costs, sensibility and everything else, an M5 is an M5 :M5thumbs:

:M5launch:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts