BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As an owner who took delivery of a new 2003 M5 (March, 2004, now with 12K on the clock), its toil trying to sort this out, that is: is it worth paying for the two different options owners have available to put a lid on possible repair bills (BMW's Maintenance and separate Warranty contracts, which are mirror extensions of what we got when bought new)?

I have read lots of threads on the M5Board, spoken to (BMW) dealers and have had personal experience (claims) in these matter with prior cars (none BMW)- though I fried a BMW engine and ltd slip differential in the early 80's at 55K outside of my warranty (which BMWNA was very gracious in helping me out with a new core and diff! and grateful I was!).

It appears no one has fully flushed this out in black and white, so I have taken stab at this, in the attached. Its a work in process but I will share.

In conclusion, the decison to buy or not depends on:
1. How many miles you drive in a year
2. How long do you intend to own your bad boy.
3. And yes, do you feel lucky

I agree with many here who say BMW has figured this out and knows its a money maker, after all we are capitalists. That said, if you fear frying your engine, braking your differential, losing your tranny (as unlikely as those are under 100K- my max period of ownership) this might be worth buying. I'd say, the attached outlines, with high probability, what you can expect to pay. Its just a matter of budgeting and keeping your dollars for that day.

If you were to sell your car before the 6th year and under 100K, I submit the buyer will not pay for the added cost of these warranties either. You may get more possible buyers with Maintenance and Warranty agreements, though the one that buys a car without will discount your price for less than the cost of these contracts.

Hope you find it useful. If you disagree with my numbers, please advise what you feel they should be. I am interested and I've got thick skin.:D

Attachments

·
10,455 Posts
my only question is would the clutch be covered at all. In what i've seen on the board, it's been denied from "maintenance plan" coverage and also denied on the 'general warranty' unless some defect has caused it's failure. I'm not sure you can count on either to pick up the clutch/flywheel for certain.
On my car, it was covered under warranty, but only because I had a rear main seal oil leak.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I did get the CPO with the beast. All I know is it allows me not to hesitate to bring it in to the dealer when I have a problem. This is a peace of mind warranty.

But electricals are not covered.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for sharing your analysis. My comment is regarding the costs of the different services in the future. Have you taken into consideration price increases due to inflation?

In my case, I have a CY 2002 M5 with 16K miles and I will probably average 8K - 9K per yr. My scheduled maintenance expires 1/05 and new vehicle warrenty expires 1/06. I have 2 green squares left and probably not going to hit the expensive Insp 1 (30k miles) before the maint expires.

I do not go to the tracks or push the car hard (just knowing I can beat 90% of the cars on the road is satisfaction enough) except on the occassional So Calif M5 drive meetings.

I asked Mike Miller of Roundel Tecktalk his advise on extending the scheduled maint program based on my driving style and mileage. He emailed me back with some interesting comments and his recommendation on a detailed "Alternative BMW Maintenance Schedule".

At this point, I have not purchase a maint extension but I might chicken out and buy it before expiration just to have that peace of mind. Does anyone know which dealer has the best price for this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bear35 said:
I asked Mike Miller of Roundel Tecktalk his advise on extending the scheduled maint program based on my driving style and mileage. He emailed me back with some interesting comments and his recommendation on a detailed "Alternative BMW Maintenance Schedule".
QUOTE]

Would you mind sharing Mike's "Alternative BMW Maintenance Schedule"?

Dudley

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Bear35 said:
Does anyone know which dealer has the best price for this?
My dealer in Tucson, AZ quoted me $549 for a one year extension; the subsequent 2 year extension after that was about $1200.

I think I'm at least going to buy the one year extension, if just for peace of mind. I still wish I know if the clutch is officially covered by the maintanence agreement...guess I'll have to keep pushing to find out!

Kevin

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KevinM said:
My dealer in Tucson, AZ quoted me $549 for a one year extension; the subsequent 2 year extension after that was about $1200.

I think I'm at least going to buy the one year extension, if just for peace of mind. I still wish I know if the clutch is officially covered by the maintanence agreement...guess I'll have to keep pushing to find out!

Kevin
Not likely the clutch will be covered unless there is some failure. There are threads that address this topic and experiences of others. I think there is a reply above that addresses this topic.

My SA has told me very clearly it is not covered by either the Maintenance or Warranty agreements. Others on this board suggest doing your homework and be prepared to be insistent that they at least look at why it failed. If its abuse, well then you had your fun and its time to pay.

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts