BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and the law won. i got my first ticket (85 in a 70, thanks to some last second hard braking) on easter, before i even had 1,000 miles on my titanium M5. don't think your stealthy color or valentine one (mine is hard wired) will make you invulnerable. it takes 2/10ths of a second for a trooper to clock you with instant on. and some prosecutors/judges don't want to deal if you are more than 20 mph over the limit. so be careful, guys. and out of curiosity (or in search of commiseration), how many other M5'ers have been rung up so far?
wishing you all clear roads and safe motoring,
michael

·
Registered
158 Posts
i got yanked over last week by a jarhead cop for allegedly failing to yield entering a rotary at 20mph. total silliness. needless to say, i'm fighting it. if i'm going to pay a four-figure insurance increase over N years i want it to be for something that was at least FUN like speeding ;-)

shawn

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got nailed by the Highway Patrol on a quiet highway in the middle of nowhere late saturday night. Instant on, I didn't stand a chance even with my Valentine One. Oh well, I knew these moments happen and is part of the way I drive and this car encourages me to drive. He did give me a bit of a break by dropping the speed from 143 Km/Hr to 130 ( in a 100 zone). Saved me some money but more importantly some points against my licence.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
csajl--i don't think you will be successful fighting the ticket, and your attempt might rule out the chance of entering a defective equipment plea. if i were you, i'd talk to an attorney first. as for the way the officer got you, i would guess he didn't clock you at all, if your valentine one didn't go off. but again, in a "his word against yours" scenario, guess who the judge will side with? the trooper who stopped me clocked me through his rear window, as he passed me going the opposite direction. of course, the valentine shrieked then. he also told me he could estimate speed within about three mph. good luck!
michael

·
Registered
890 Posts
It's my understanding that "instant on" radar is actually Lasar. My son in law is a town patroler and that's what he told me. If that is true the The v1 is defenseless. The K 40 stealth with lasar jambing jambs the lasar signal and therefore the instant on is useless. That's assuming the cop my son in law is accurate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a friend who is a traffic cop. He insisted that he could judge the speed of any vehicle within two miles an hour. I bet him $10.00 he couldn't.

I sat in his unmarked car one day as he shot radar at oncoming traffic. Then we went for a drive. He would call out the speed of any car I picked and then I would shoot them with his radar gun. In two hours of time, he was NEVER wrong. Had to be at least two hundred cars, probably many more than that.

Afterwards, he bought us both a Coke with my $10.00. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I never would have believed it.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Rebel 1: instant-on is NOT laser - it is radar - just a unit in "gun" form with a trigger so that it isn't always sending radar (radio waves at high frequency.)

Laser can also be instant on, AND newer V1's HAVE laser detection.

The only way a radar/laser detector protects you against instant on is if you happen to detect the guy in front of you getting shot.

If you're the 1st or only car in line - no detector will help you. Jammers are another story. Though I've never seen any scientific report on their actual effectiveness, in THEORY they should work. They'll also piss off the cop but good, and their legality is in serious question (there's a big difference between the legality of a receiver (radar detector) and a transmitter (jammer.)

/G

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, instant on is radar and it is indefensible without some sort of jamming equipment. I would love to get a hold of some F4-G aircraft jamming equipment. Though I suspect it is highly illegal. I got busted in M3 a few years back doing 93. My detector went off, but too late. I live in Texas, the land of radar, so I sympathize. I did not think the CHP's were using radar in CA. But that does not matter, because I received many tickets in S Cal. and I was told that indeed a CHP officer does not have to clock you, only see you and judge your speed. It sucks. On the otherhand, my V1 has saved me many tickets. But at night on when you all alone with instant on, you are screwed. In Texas, they will sit in the median at night with their light off and shoot you as you are approaching. You do not see them until your detector goes off.

·
Banned
96 Posts
I think somebody has to develop a system that deploys a combination of nails, marbles, thick green smoke, and an oil slick behind your car once it reads that you have been tagged by radar. That should definitely give you the advantage in the pursuit. Or better yet, some sort of "cloaking" device utilized by the Starship Voyager on TV. I'm sure the Army has something like that available, but it won't become public for at least another 5 years, and if it does, you can rest assured it'll be from some underground organzination in California (you gotta love that state) and will the size of a cereal box.

I would recommend pasting some radar "absorbing" material on your car, but that would probably have an adverse effect on the aerodynamic ability of your vehicles, and you'll be lucky if you hit 55 with so much wind resistance.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just got nailed 4 weeks ago in my M3 going 85 in 55 zone on LIE at night. I have V1 but it did not help, the cop was behind me and I guess clocked my speed using his speedometer.
Well, I just called my lawer and give him the ticket, let's see what happens. He said I may get away with 2 points non speeding moving violation and 200 dollar fine. I already had a speeding ticket going 35+ over limit and my insurance rate is hurting me plenty.
Well anyway my new car will have V1 and laser jammer installed - K40 with front and back protection.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
CHP lies! I got caught doing 85 in a 55 (and i was slowing down still accoridng to him). Luckily i talked it down to 75, but my detector didn't go off either (v1 hardwired). Unfortunately, the parental units have confiscated the car for an undetermined amount of time. Lidar (laser) is illegal in CA because they HAVE to post it somewhere that they will be using it. Anyone know the San Mateo police dept? I'd like to get off of their ****list (18 yr old + m5 = happy ticketing officer)

·
Registered
49 Posts
V1 brapped at 100 mph, hard braking to about 80 mph on the Garden State Parkway. Copper pulled me over and said he got me at 82 mph - and let me off with a warning... I did not have time to dismount my V1. I thought I was screwed.

Here is the proper technique - particularly in a car that looks like it could belong to a drug dealer (with NY plates in NJ, no less):

When you come to a stop, turn off the engine and place the keys on top of the dash in plain sight.

Keep both hands high on the steering wheel with your fingers open.

Move slowly and deliberately to open the window after his approach and request.

I happened to have my wallet/license in my back pocket. When the officer asked me for it, I told him "Sir, my license is in my wallet, which is in my back right pocket - do you mind if I reach for it". He nodded and I slowly and deliberately removed my wallet.

This type of coutesy worked wonders, despite the obvious presence of my V1.

If you have passengers, tell them to make sure their hands are visible. There are few things more terrifying to cops than the initial approach to a car they pulled over. Be couteous and sensitive to this and they will hopefully return the favor.

Happy motoring,
Sam
'00 E39 M5, Silverstone/Black Exclusive

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have never seen an article written by any credible magazine that has tested a product that jams radar and have it work! NOTHING!! They have all failed. Now before someone tries to rip my head off I have seen several articles by magazines that have tested and CONFIRMED that laser jamers DO work, or at least some models do, I believe those two models that I have seen are the K40 and Laser Echo with the K40 being better rated. Now I'm no scientest but I belive you would need a piece of hardware so big and heavy to jam RADAR that it would not be practible or affordable(not to mention illegal)since I believe that possessing a jamar would violate several FCC? regs. Light however is not regulated and could therefore be jammed legally(supposedly). So for instant on protection against radar your best protection is to not speed or use Romans suggestion of radar absorbing material like the stealth fighter(except that material is highly toxic and would prob. cause your death if you had prolonged contact with it).

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Regarding Laser Blinders I guess the Laser Blinder is the way to go www.blinder.dk

regarding Radar jammer that's another story, but Iguess it's the opposite situation in Europe compared to US. In Europe it's only Lasers.

Quote from their website:

"How to use your new BLINDER

For avoiding any trouble with the police, we strongly recommend to follow the method mentioned below when dealing with police laser guns:

At the moment when you hear the BLINDER warning signal, you must at once

Slow down if you are speeding

Switch off the BLINDER

In that way you will allow the police to get a clear speed measurement without making any attention. Sometimes the police need two or tree shoots before getting a usable speed measurement. Therefore turn off the BLINDER within a few seconds, and nobody suspect that something is wrong!"

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
A V1 is most effective when used with the additional cop spotting techniques you used before the radar detector. Watch the mirrors, did that car pacing you suddenly drop away? Watch offramps and follow bright red Porsches.

·
Banned
96 Posts
I use a very simple "cloaking device" which is comprised of an white bedsheet (king size, 50% polyester to ward off rain, 50% cotton to prevent abrasing my cars exterior finish) which I tie with a thin cord around my car to give it a ghost-like appearance and then nobody can see me! I also poke two holes in the sheet in the windshield so I can see where I am driving.

I have also packed aluminum foil balls and scotch-taped them onto my rims, which acts as a reflector to any oncoming radar and laser beams and redirects them to other cars on the road. That works well, but I would recommend using a very resistant tape in rainy weather.

I agree entirely with Sam---very good point. Don't give the trooper any reason to feel threatened or endangered. Make his job easier. I have been stopped MANY times. I would even recommend that if you KNOW you have been tagged, pull over to the side, the shoulder immediately, and wait for the officer to pull up behind you. I have done this many times, and the cops are either shocked, surprised, or actually laugh about it. It sounds radical to admit to "speeding", but then the trooper doesn't have to waste time chasing you, and will make his job easier. You will be surprised how far honesty will get you. I will tell you this has always gotten me off with just a warning.

If that doesn't work, keep a can of warm cream soda and a bag of barbecued potato chips in your glovebox. Before he gets to your car, grab the bag of chips, open the soda, chew everything as quickly as you can, roll your eyes and head, and make believe you are possessed or having convulsions, as you let the chips and cream soda froth from your mouth. Also don't forget to gibber in some foreign tongue. Nobody will come near you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I find sobbing uncontrollably works fine but they usually don't like the kissing of the feet bit.

I've installed larger side view mirrors because it's too difficult to see through the back window with all the PBA stickers. I'll probably move them to the rear sun shade that can be conveniently raised when stopped.

Anybody tried attaching a magnetic red flashing light to the roof?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts