BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 keys for my '02 M5. None have ever worked in the driver's door lock - they will not turn beyond 12 o'clock in either direction. They all work in the trunk lock. I have stupidly ignored this and just used keyless entry until recently, when all 3 keyfobs started working intermittently for locking/unlocking. Makes for some interesting glares from the wife when at a rest stop in the middle of a road trip and the first few keyfob unlock presses do nothing. I've replaced the FZV module, no luck. GM3 repair is next I guess. Meanwhile, I'm going after the manual lock/unlock problem.

Took the door apart this week. First thing I realized is that the key does turn, if you use a bit of force. However it's spinning freely - the cylinder must be busted: https://vimeo.com/101814847/

OK so I have the cylinder out of the door..

2 questions:

1) From this diagram, which #23 do I need, "catch with key code" or "catch with key"? What's the difference?

2) Can a locksmith modify a new key cylinder to work with my keys, or am I looking at a painful dealer visit?

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
When you turn the key, does the Philips head appendage move as well? If so its not properly hooked onto the recess in the door lock mechanism. If it doesn't move, you have a problem with the lock cylinder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts